RTC guide?

Current solutions and designs.
Bikerbob

Re: RTC guide?

Post by Bikerbob »

SO.... is it just me? OR am I getting the sense from all these postings that coming up with a guide? or making a wiki page or something might be a really good idea.

Having a new person, try something.. set the cock.. reboot (which we have to often) have it then write the new files with order file dates than the last ones.. and not understanding why an ST.. is not an STE, or not a MegaST when it comes to this.. OH and this device or that device.

I am totally for helping.. with what I can. I guess I could start writing and ask for corrections or contributions??

James
tzok

Post by tzok »

stephen_usher wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 pm A complication to all this is that different TOS versions seem to use different start dates.
This is due to the fact that TOS 1.0 doesn't support IKBD clock through GEMDOS functions at all, and won't initialize GEMDOS clock from IKBD no matter what, TOS 1.2-1.4 won't initialize GemDOS clock from IKBD unless CONTROL.ACC is loaded, TOS 1.6-1.62 need STE_FIX.PRG for that, and TOS 2.06 initializes GemDOS clock from IKBD by default. According to Peter Putnik this is a bug in 1.x TOS as they all contain code required to initialize GemDOS clock from IKBD, but this code is not executed.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

tzok wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11 am I'm not sure if Ricoch chip in MST is Y2K compilant. If it doesn't work you either have to use some autoloaded software patch or a TOS patch to use it. Alternative is to disable it and build/buy another RTC solution (UltraSATAN, ComosEx).

Ricoh RP5C15 for sure uses only 2 digits for year in BCD format, but I'm not sure if it could handle pseudo-BCD years like B9.
Yep, it's a Ricoh RP5C15, just had a look under the hood.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

This shouldn't affect the clock setting code though. The clock is read correctly from the UltraSATAN it's just that when it sets the clock the year is 9 years in the future when running TOS 2.06.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
tzok

Post by tzok »

I have checked it, and I can confirm this bug in UltraSATAN clock. It tries to set IKBD clock with year 0xB9 and fails to do this, then he reads IKBD clock and receives 0xC8 (no matter which year after 0x99 you'd set). I've tested this on TOS 2.06 and 1.62.

With my IKBD RTC supplicant module it works correctly (but it has no sense, as my module basically is a battery backed-up RTC).
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Ok, I am going to take everything in here so far and start writing a guide. please help me with corrections and omissions.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

tzok wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:36 pm I have checked it, and I can confirm this bug in UltraSATAN clock. It tries to set IKBD clock with year 0xB9 and fails to do this, then he reads IKBD clock and receives 0xC8 (no matter which year after 0x99 you'd set). I've tested this on TOS 2.06 and 1.62.

With my IKBD RTC supplicant module it works correctly (but it has no sense, as my module basically is a battery backed-up RTC).
So in reading your post.. are you suggesting there is a fix? or your just saying your confirming a bug. Weird since this is THE most popular HDD replacement for the Atari ST line that no one has fixed this bug.

There is also this Y2k.prg program.. that sets things 20 years back then forward.. but I am not sure when and when not to use it?

James
tzok

Post by tzok »

There is a (kind of) fix - a plug in module that intercepts RTC calls to the IKBD and substitutes own responses to them. In my case this module not only makes IKBD RTC Y2K compilant, but also has the battery backed up RTC, so using one from UltraSATAN together with it is obsolete.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544
ari.tao

Post by ari.tao »

Recently there were made some new clocks of different fashion, have a look into
https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php/t ... 263.0.html
Unfortunately the type I liked to prefer, namely the GPS one, seems not to work in my environment, may be the GPS signal doesn´t find it´s way into my cave.
Falcon, TT & some more
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

tzok wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:16 pm There is a (kind of) fix - a plug in module that intercepts RTC calls to the IKBD and substitutes own responses to them. In my case this module not only makes IKBD RTC Y2K compilant, but also has the battery backed up RTC, so using one from UltraSATAN together with it is obsolete.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544
Thanks Tzok, I have started reading your thread.. funny that I just bought 6 days ago one of those Aduro RTC modules thinking I could make something out of it.. not your exact one.. but I think they all have the same 5pin output. Anyway.. I will most definitely add that to the RTC guide as a fairly easy DIY solution for most people.

James

Return to “RTC (Real time clock)”