Icky's H5 B1 Build

Share your building progress here!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icky's H5 B1 Build

Post by Icky »

Well I finally got round to powering up the H5B1 after sorting out the short under the MAX238 and what do you know it fired up first time. :)

So now it's time to start moving over all my development boards to the H5 board. Need to get the audio patch board on as well to test. I have a 3.5mm jack I am going to use to output the audio and am just printing a bracket for it to sit where the RF out would have been.

Currently I have the X2 MIDI board, Phoenix Shifter, Flashy Clock and Trudie plugged in but I need to solder in the sockets for the Sparkalaphobia

IMG_6050.jpeg
IMG_6050.jpeg (180.58 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
AndresPlazaR

Post by AndresPlazaR »

Hi!

What's the status of the audio patch board for the MIDI boards?

Andres.
--
Andres Plaza R.
Twitter: @AndresPlazaR
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

AndresPlazaR wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:34 pm Hi!

What's the status of the audio patch board for the MIDI boards?

Andres.
@exxos and I haven't had chance to test the boards out yet. Hoping to get to this later tonight if all goes well.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:47 pm
AndresPlazaR wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:34 pm What's the status of the audio patch board for the MIDI boards?
@exxos and I haven't had chance to test the boards out yet. Hoping to get to this later tonight if all goes well.
Lack of time as always, I been trying to get Trudie finished. The boards are made, just not tested.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
AndresPlazaR

Post by AndresPlazaR »

Thank you both! :-)
--
Andres Plaza R.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

After testing with @exxos I finally fitted the Audio Amp board for YM / S2 volume levels neatly onto the H5.

Some hot snot under the board to stick it down then getting the audio from the C59, C60 points. Then power off of the YM chip and finally running a shielded cable up to a 3.5mm jack which pokes out the RF modulator hole in the case. Used a 3D printed mount for the jack height etc.

Just need a little more hot snot to glue the wire neatly down.

IMG_6073.jpeg
IMG_6073.jpeg (338.82 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
IMG_6074.jpeg
IMG_6074.jpeg (142.98 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
IMG_6076.jpeg
IMG_6076.jpeg (265.15 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bodge wires ! :excited: :excited: :excited: :thumbup:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
AndresPlazaR

Post by AndresPlazaR »

@Icky , let us know how it works! :-)

Question: for the 3.5mm jack, wouldn't it be better to tap to JP3? That will be the "pure" line out from the Dreamblaster, right?

Andres.
--
Andres Plaza R.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

AndresPlazaR wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:19 pm @Icky , let us know how it works! :-)

Question: for the 3.5mm jack, wouldn't it be better to tap to JP3? That will be the "pure" line out from the Dreamblaster, right?

Andres.
The small circuit @exxos created does two things:
  1. The YM chip and S2/X2 outputs are not mixed at the right levels. The PCB sorts out the volume levels mixed together correctly.
  2. The circuit is a dev board to eventually replace the original amp on the H series board. https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =89&t=3742
To use this board you have to remove the C59 & C60 caps anyway and I wanted a neatly placed solution so this was my take on the patch as the Phoenix Shifter I use for HDMI does not have audio out hence the 3.5mm jack :)
AndresPlazaR

Post by AndresPlazaR »

Thanks for the explanation, @Icky. So, the audio jack you are installing is to get the YM and the Dreamblaster audio mixed, not just the line-out for the Dreamblaster, I see.

Hopefully I can get my hands on one of this little boards soon, so I can close the case of the Phoenix. :-)
--
Andres Plaza R.

Return to “H5 B1 USER BUILDS”