Help, I just bought an Atari STE!

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
Laupert

Help, I just bought an Atari STE!

Post by Laupert »

So I have had my Commodores and MSX machines, but I've always been curious about other retro systems in general and especially the Atari ones. Apart from a very brief ownership of a 1040STfm I've never owned or used anything Atari. So last night after a few beers I finally gave in and bought a 520STe from an auction site.

Having never owned an Atari and not knowing anyone who ever owned one, I have no clue where to start. My main interest will be watching demos on real hardware, maybe playing some games and tinkering with the hardware.

What are the must have demos and games? Must have upgrades? Which items to get from Exxos web store?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help, I just bought an Atari STE!

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Probably start with a PSU re-cap, then as it's an STE you can check how much RAM is installed and upgrade up to 4MB by changing the SIMMs.

My usual suggestions are to drop in either a Goex or Gotek to replace the floppy drive so you can use SD cards or USB sticks to run .ST disk image files from, and if you want a hard drive, my personal favourite is the Ultrasatan from Lotharek.

Other hard drive solutions are available, such as the Gigafile or the STM2ACSI project that you can build yourself.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Also search on YouTube, lots of stuff to see. Joy of sticks is pretty good for Atari content.
Laupert

Post by Laupert »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:51 am Probably start with a PSU re-cap, then as it's an STE you can check how much RAM is installed and upgrade up to 4MB by changing the SIMMs.
Will do. I'm assuming it comes with the standard 512.
rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:51 am My usual suggestions are to drop in either a Goex or Gotek to replace the floppy drive so you can use SD cards or USB sticks to run .ST disk image files from, and if you want a hard drive, my personal favourite is the Ultrasatan from Lotharek.

Other hard drive solutions are available, such as the Gigafile or the STM2ACSI project that you can build yourself.
Thanks. I will probably start with a Gotek, but definitely look into a hard drive solution. I'd like to keep the internal floppy drive if it's still working. Is an external Gotek an option?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Laupert wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Thanks. I will probably start with a Gotek, but definitely look into a hard drive solution. I'd like to keep the internal floppy drive if it's still working. Is an external Gotek an option?
Yes, I have an external Gotek. It is also possible to wire up a switch allowing you to make the external drive appear as internal and vice versa.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Don't forget the Ultasatan as well.

Mass storage, very nice...and you can keep your floppy. :)

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=48
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

MonSTer STE is an excellent solution that adds 10MB of RAM and IDE on your STE. Couple that with 4MB on board and you will have a really cool STE. It also has a space for alternative TOS and you can add TOS 2.06 and EmuTOS (even the 512KB version).

Also NetUSBee will give you a Network port and 2 USB 1.0 ports via the cartridge port.

I think they are must have.
Laupert

Post by Laupert »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 am MonSTer STE is an excellent solution that adds 10MB of RAM and IDE on your STE. Couple that with 4MB on board and you will have a really cool STE. It also has a space for alternative TOS and you can add TOS 2.06 and EmuTOS (even the 512KB version).

Also NetUSBee will give you a Network port and 2 USB 1.0 ports via the cartridge port.

I think they are must have.
I love this as it seems I won't need any external boxes and power supplies. Thanks :)
mst

Post by mst »

Laupert wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:27 am So I have had my Commodores and MSX machines, but I've always been curious about other retro systems in general and especially the Atari ones. Apart from a very brief ownership of a 1040STfm I've never owned or used anything Atari. So last night after a few beers I finally gave in and bought a 520STe from an auction site.

Having never owned an Atari and not knowing anyone who ever owned one, I have no clue where to start. My main interest will be watching demos on real hardware, maybe playing some games and tinkering with the hardware.

What are the must have demos and games? Must have upgrades? Which items to get from Exxos web store?
You can try one of my very low cost manufactured hard disk units (now it reaches 650 KB/s reading and 385 KB/s writing),

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”