Phihong power problems

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
curlypaul

Re: Phihong power problems

Post by curlypaul »

Now I've got continuity between all the outputs, that's not normal is it?

I cant see anything bridged that wasnt bridged before
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

curlypaul wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:25 pm Now I've got continuity between all the outputs, that's not normal is it?
If the caps are discharged they will measure as a short until they start to charge up. DMM's are no good, you need oldskool Avo type meters to test such things.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
curlypaul

Post by curlypaul »

exxos wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 am
curlypaul wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:25 pm Now I've got continuity between all the outputs, that's not normal is it?
If the caps are discharged they will measure as a short until they start to charge up. DMM's are no good, you need oldskool Avo type meters to test such things.
Good to know, thank you. I've been checking and re-checking the board against the pictures :)

Gutted I missed the post, eager to get these load resistors and find out if it's this or the motherboard
curlypaul

Post by curlypaul »

exxos wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:05 am
Alrighty, so got my resistors and all the things I need to plug them in an test them. PSU seems fine, 11.8 and 5.0, so seems this there might be a problem on the motherboard. I'll start inspecting that again later.

At least I know the psu isn't likely to damage it further, thank you for all your help.
curlypaul

Post by curlypaul »

Success!

Well, hopefully. I went over the motherboard, cleaned a few places I'd missed, but didnt find any metallic debris, maybe it was those poor joints on the psu.

20210715_211802.jpg
20210715_211802.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”