Have I bought the wrong Caps?

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
Freadus

Have I bought the wrong Caps?

Post by Freadus »

I have recently undergone a number of upgrades to my aging ste and all are looking good (new psu, cpu, tos switcher) all from exxos good self. However I came across the reset issue after installing the psu. Looked up Exxos answer and ordered some caps that arrived today, then as I was looking for instructions I came across the video ghosting fix and noticed it just used a 47Uf cap, hurrah i have some of those so will do that at the same time, then i read Exxo's comments, something along the lines of "always use LOW ESR as i keep saying", oh dear are mine low esr i have no idea.

Anyway these are what I bought (i know i know should have bought them from Exxos but I got confused and whatever.....), will these be good enough or should i just order a couple more from Exxos?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089Y3KB4M/ ... UTF8&psc=1

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E6PBKX6/ ... UTF8&psc=1

Many thanks,in advance.

Oh and on a related note when wiring up the psu I missed the connection of the purple and grey wires to make it 230v and so was trying to resolder the very neat soldering i had done on the motherboard connection troubleshooting before realising what i had missed, connected the pair and all worked well, however the resulting mess i had made trying to rectify what wasn't an issue on the motherboard connection looked horrible and a little dry. I ignored the holes to solder through and just bridged across the two two holes on top to make very strong connection, I am guessing looking at the traces that this won't be an issue as they appear to just be holes connected on the same trace but just thought I should make sure.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Have I bought the wrong Caps?

Post by exxos »

You will just have to try them and witness the results. They probably not of great quality, but for just for the ghosting fix, they may be okay.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Unless you have an ESR tester (These are cheap and easily available these days), then you won't ever know, but if you can get good brands like Panasonic then you will likely have low ESR.

I suspect they will be good enough.

Smaller caps are usually good, but some of the larger ones I have seen are fakes with a smaller cap in a larger shell.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Freadus

Post by Freadus »

Thanks for that. Will give them a shot and see. Will probably do the quick and dirty reset fix and then come back later to do the dull fix when I have bought some proper caps from Exxos store.

Also the psu question....I am guessing I am okay (the connections just bridge the two holes) feel very sturdy and all seems to work okay and my logic makes sense to me at least but thought I should check I wasn't doing any damage....
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Freadus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:14 pm Thanks for that. Will give them a shot and see. Will probably do the quick and dirty reset fix and then come back later to do the dull fix when I have bought some proper caps from Exxos store.

Also the psu question....I am guessing I am okay (the connections just bridge the two holes) feel very sturdy and all seems to work okay and my logic makes sense to me at least but thought I should check I wasn't doing any damage....
Honestly, I'm not sure which holes you're referring to, so pictures would be a big help :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Freadus

Post by Freadus »

Here you go and thanks:

IMG_16092021_160034_(360_x_800_pixel).jpg
IMG_16092021_160034_(360_x_800_pixel).jpg (79.28 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Just double check for solder whiskers under magnification to be sure, and that the holes are OK to be bridged. @exxos may also have a comment.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Freadus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:01 pm Here you go and thanks:
No problem in doing that, but you should really run the wires through the holes as if you catch the wire you can tear the pads off the board.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Freadus

Post by Freadus »

Thanks yes I know it should have gone through really and it did and I was really happy with the first go but my subsequent attempts to resolder and fix a problem.which wasn't there made it horrid so whipped the old connector off and attached that and that was the best I could do. I take it the lifting is only really an issue when installing once done, solid and in-situ should be good for the long run yes?

And yes I took a very hi res photo and saw one whisker that looked a bit iffy so "adjusted" with a Stanley and it looks well clear now. All good then thanks. Can't believe how much cooler it runs!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Freadus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:19 pm in-situ should be good for the long run yes?
Basically yes.

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”