A21 A22 A23 not connected to GLUE

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
zChris

A21 A22 A23 not connected to GLUE

Post by zChris »

Hello,

From the schematics adressline 21 22 23 from CPU should be connected to the GLUE but what would happen if those lines werent connected? Do you think that would give a white screen? I have one 520STfm that gives white screen and when i measure between GLUE and CPU those adresslines arent connected.

/zChris
Steve

Re: A21 A22 A23 not connected to GLUE

Post by Steve »

If the schematics say they should be connected, then if I were you I'd patch them back in and see if it fixes the issue.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

For starters no ROM access will occur!

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@zChris the best bet is to consider that everything that's on the schematic is required for a working ST.

It isn't really the case but there is very few bits that don't really need connecting.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@zChris

I'm with @PhilC, If it's on the schematic it's required.

Whist there are variations depending on the specific version of ST schematic you have, the essential logic needed will always be there.

I presume you are using a multi-meter in continuity mode to test? Have you made sure that the contacts on the GLUE and GLUE socket are clean and not oxidised? A layer of oxidisation can be enough to prevent contact with the multi-meter probes, so always worth cleaning with IPA and De-Oxit or Electrolube (Servisol).

Also, I haven't at this point looked at the schematic to check, but if there are any components such as resistors etc in the path between the CPU and MMU, this will affect your results, and you should in those cases check each hop along the way for continuity.

As an aside, you don't need 12V to boot an ST, just 5V will do and if you have PSU concerns, it's best to run this from a bench power supply connected only to 5v to ensure a clean and stable 5V supply.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
zChris

Post by zChris »

Thanks for your inputs.

What do you use to remove flux? I use this one https://www.electrokit.com/en/product/i ... ray-400ml/ but it makes everything sticky instead :(
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

zChris wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:27 pm What do you use to remove flux?
Yep, isopropanol (also known as isopropyl alcohol, IPA, propan-2-ol). 90% concentration or higher for electronics.

You can't just spray it on and leave it -- it evaporates and leaves the flux behind. You need to get in with cotton buds or something similar that will soak up the dissolved mess it temporarily creates. Several times, probably, and using lots of buds!

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”