The internal metal top shield

The place to ask all those likely daft questions!
thesofa

The internal metal top shield

Post by thesofa »

Do I really need this in my STE?
TT030 with Storm with 256 Mb Ram, Thunder with a CF drive and Lightning, HxC floppy emulator and one of Codekiller's magical Mono/Colour switchers, also 3 STS one has TOS1.0 AND 2.06 switchable with an HD drive, the other two are untested as yet, just bought for spares!!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The internal metal top shield

Post by exxos »

Depends what you are passing as passing criteria or not.

Will your machine work perfectly without it, yes.

OTOH, it is better to have it prevent interference to and from the computer and it helps flexing of the motherboard. Of course if you are not bothered about it.. Only really you can decide what you want.

So better to have it yes, Is it actually required no.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

If I have upgrades that prevent it from fitting, I leave it off, otherwise it stays on.

The bottom shield should always be left though as it helps to correctly locate the mainboard in the lower case and provides mechanical strength.

Up to you entirely.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
thesofa

Post by thesofa »

Thanks chaps, I guess i shall leave it off then, because i don't want to have to drill it for the TOS switch i have installed just above the RF output.
TT030 with Storm with 256 Mb Ram, Thunder with a CF drive and Lightning, HxC floppy emulator and one of Codekiller's magical Mono/Colour switchers, also 3 STS one has TOS1.0 AND 2.06 switchable with an HD drive, the other two are untested as yet, just bought for spares!!

Return to “NOOB QUESTIONS”