ST 16MHz BOOSTER 2021 and 1040STF C070859-001 Rev. ?? fitting

About the ST 16MHz simple booster.
CeRiAl

ST 16MHz BOOSTER 2021 and 1040STF C070859-001 Rev. ?? fitting

Post by CeRiAl »

This is my first post here, so first a short introduction:

Hello everyone!
I'm a proud owner of an german Atari 1040 STF and recently bought a few parts from exxos' shop to give my Atari some upgrades and refreshments.

As I have one of these motherboards with surface mount GLUE and MMU (C070859-001 Rev. - nothing after "Rev.") I had to go the hard way and use the larger "4MB RAM upgrade kit".
Also I fitted the "STFM KIT DUAL TOS", my idea was to finally have TOS206 on my machine.
Interestingly my motherboard had sockets for all 6 ROMs, so I had quite some fun first removing all of these. I went on and removed all old RAM before installing the memory upgrade and the Dual-TOS kit.
Additionally I fully recapped my Mitsumi SR98.

And - what a relief - I didn't break anything in the process, everything still works perfectly fine!
4MB memory is recognized and passes all RAM-test tools; also I can switch between TOS102 and TOS104.
8-)

As I also ordered the latest "16MHz ST BOOSTER REV 1.4" this would be the next step for installing.
I also still have to do some of the "mandatory fixes" before installing the booster, namely the DMA Pull up resistors on the databus and the 2.2K bus resistors.
I'm also aware that this booster is not officialy supported on original STs, but I thought I'd still ask as my problem isn't related to any technical, but rather a "mechanical" issue:
Does this booster even fit on my board below the metal shielding?
Does anyone one have experiences with fitting this booster on the type of motherboards with the CPU on the bottom?

I'm asking this question before even starting with the whole process of removing the old CPU, because when looking at the height of the assembled booster and the available space, I really wonder if it will fit..? Or is there any metalwork needed?

It would be great if someone just could say: "nope, doesn't fit, no chance!" or "yes, fits, but it's tight" or "it fits only with some metalwork".

Thanks in advance! :)
| Atari 1040STF (4MB) | Phoenix H5C1 (in progress) | Amiga 1200 (ACA1221, Orinoco WiFi w/WPA) | Ultimate-64 Elite (Pixelwizard SX-64-Style) | Powerbook G4 (MorphOS-PPC) | TheC64 Mini (w/working keyboard) | Atari 800XL | Atari Portfolio | Newton MessagePad 2100 | ... and more |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ST 16MHz BOOSTER 2021 and 1040STF C070859-001 Rev. ?? fitting

Post by exxos »

The C070859 is almost the same layout as the 70789 which I recommend using. Just it has SMT chips.. It should fit fine I think...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
CeRiAl

Post by CeRiAl »

Great, I really was worried regarding the vertical space to the shielding, but if you say it fits, it will fit I assume! :D
Yes, the layout is almost the same as the C070789. So maybe it's just an optical illusion because of the slanted front of the shield.
Thank you!
| Atari 1040STF (4MB) | Phoenix H5C1 (in progress) | Amiga 1200 (ACA1221, Orinoco WiFi w/WPA) | Ultimate-64 Elite (Pixelwizard SX-64-Style) | Powerbook G4 (MorphOS-PPC) | TheC64 Mini (w/working keyboard) | Atari 800XL | Atari Portfolio | Newton MessagePad 2100 | ... and more |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Just thought, you probably will have to solder the CPU to the booster and solder the booster into the MB as there isn't much height.. you only normally have space for the CPU in a socket kinda thing..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
CeRiAl

Post by CeRiAl »

exxos wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:00 am Just thought, you probably will have to solder the CPU to the booster and solder the booster into the MB as there isn't much height.. you only normally have space for the CPU in a socket kinda thing..
Yes, indeed, I double-checked - made a cardboard motherboard, "fitted" the Booster and checked if the metal shielding fits.
It does not fit WITH the socket, about 3/4mm are missing.
WITHOUT the socket though, as you have told me, it would fit (quite tightly, but it would be fine with some safetly isolation on the shielding).

Unfortunately when removing the socket, I ripped off one soldering pad on the booster. This means sadly my upgrading project has to end here prematurely for now.
I think it's possible to fix it with some threading wire, also the resistor between the former socket legs would be possible to refit again, but for now I have to close my Atari I think I need to continue this another time, maybe with a new revision of the booster. At least the machine works now, and I have surplus 16Mhz 68000 CPU, so well... Not really a reason to complain, nothing is permanently damaged on the Atari itsself :D
Funny thing though is that I thought that replacing the CPU would be the easiest part of the 3 steps of upgrading: fitting Dual-TOS after removing the sockets on the Atari, fitting the "complicated" 4MB upgrade after removing 64 memory chips, and finally the CPU. But it turns out that it wasn't :D

Maybe a future idea for the Boosters:
To prevent other people from doing the quite dangerous process of removing the socket, maybe have an option to order the booster without a socket for people with a legacy motherboard?

Anyway, thank you for your support, without your advice I might have just started removing the old CPU and then I'd really have a problem (and a non-working machine now). ;)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I have to fit the socket on them in order to test them unfortunaly, I could solder the cpu direct but not everyone would want that either.

Return to “ST 16MHz BOOSTER 2021”