Another MSX Machine Aquired

Blogs, repairs,upgrades etc
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Another MSX Machine Aquired

Post by terriblefire »

TBH The MSX is more interesting than that. Its the precursor the IBM PC.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:08 pm TBH The MSX is more interesting than that. Its the precursor the IBM PC.
IBM PC? Forget that! If the MSX3 hadnt of been retired before production, the V9978 (which was the Video IC due to be used in it) would have absolutely trounced any PC, Amiga or Atari!

As it is, the previous incarnations of this chip were pretty epic.

Such a shame really.

P.S. If anyone reading this thinks Ive been in the shed sniffing the solvents after the bold claims above, heres some info for you:

https://www.msx.org/wiki/MSX_Turbo_R
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:14 am Thought i'd post this ... I just got it from Japan and its a thing of beauty. It needs converted to 230V (not sure what my approach is going to be yet).

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 10.13.39.jpeg
Before converting your machine to 230V, you should recap ASAP the daughter board inside the computer.

The caps to change are:

- C10=10uF/16V
- C14=10uF/16V
- C22=100uF/16V

Have fun with your MSX !
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

HigashiJun wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am Before converting your machine to 230V, you should recap ASAP the daughter board inside the computer.

The caps to change are:

- C10=10uF/16V
- C14=10uF/16V
- C22=100uF/16V

Have fun with your MSX !
Unfortunately this machine is probably going in a box until mid may now. I'll see if can find time to just remove them
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Laupert

Post by Laupert »

The HB-F1XD is probably the nicest looking MSX out there and is high up there on my wish list :P . My first computer ever was a SONY HB-75 MSX, a machine which I still own today. The MSX1s might be simple in terms of sound and graphics compared to the C64, but the build quality was amazing and it's a generously expandable platform.
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:16 am
HigashiJun wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 am Before converting your machine to 230V, you should recap ASAP the daughter board inside the computer.

The caps to change are:

- C10=10uF/16V
- C14=10uF/16V
- C22=100uF/16V

Have fun with your MSX !
Unfortunately this machine is probably going in a box until mid may now. I'll see if can find time to just remove them
Yes, it would be great you do so...

These caps are prone to leaking and if the daughter board is damaged it will be a real pain to repair it or even find a replacement.

Here is a close-up photo of the daughter board with its (uglily...) replaced caps:

MSX.jpg
MSX.jpg (274.91 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

What is the limiting factor on that board? Chips unobtainium? The PCB looks simple.
———
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Chips should be found and you can replicate the board if you spend some time, but I never saw any "ready to use" replacement even here in Japan.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

HigashiJun wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:13 pm Chips should be found and you can replicate the board if you spend some time, but I never saw any "ready to use" replacement even here in Japan.
if we can find a broken one i can bribe @chucky to reverse engineer it.
———
Gooeyblob

Post by Gooeyblob »

The chip under the label is the Sony rgb encoder cxa1145

Return to “MSX 8 BIT COMPUTER”