Bikerbob's H5 C1 build

Share your building progress here!
Bikerbob

Re: Bikerbob's H5 C1 build

Post by Bikerbob »

So I have not tried a printer or a modem or MIDI .. but the DMA and seemingly the external floppy work.... but

Is there anything special I need to do to use an external floppy with the Sony 920 with HD switch??

I know the floppy drive works.. I can use it on a 520 with no floppy and it reads and writes fine. On the H5 it will access the drive, but always comes back that drive is not responding.. aka cannot read the floppy.

SO this might be my soldering... or maybe there is a special setup?? Could I test by disconnecting the internal, set the switches for external and trying that way??

ITs a 720k external drive, do I need to force it with J19?

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

If you are using a 720k external the you just force the jumper to 720k , similar if you have a 1.44 drive you force to 1.44 mode. If you have the MPF920 and want 720 & 1.44 the you solder the HD wire to the drive just like you would with the internal drive.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

exxos wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 pm If you are using a 720k external the you just force the jumper to 720k , similar if you have a 1.44 drive you force to 1.44 mode. If you have the MPF920 and want 720 & 1.44 the you solder the HD wire to the drive just like you would with the internal drive.
Ahh.. ok, then there is some other issue.. because it is not reading.

James
JezC

Post by JezC »

Bikerbob wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:12 pm Could I test by disconnecting the internal, set the switches for external and trying that way??
I started running my H4 system with an external drive configured as the internal/boot drive & that worked fine & it's supposed to be the same on the H5 from what I remember (though I thought there was a post somewhere about a potential issue with running two drives at the same time...which I mean to revisit once I fix my H4 & H5...)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 pm
Bikerbob wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:12 pm Could I test by disconnecting the internal, set the switches for external and trying that way??
I started running my H4 system with an external drive configured as the internal/boot drive & that worked fine & it's supposed to be the same on the H5 from what I remember (though I thought there was a post somewhere about a potential issue with running two drives at the same time...which I mean to revisit once I fix my H4 & H5...)
You might be thinking of the guy who tried to run 2 drives on the internal ribbon cable ? I've used internal and external drives on my boards just fine.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:31 pm You might be thinking of the guy who tried to run 2 drives on the internal ribbon cable ? I've used internal and external drives on my boards just fine.
Ah, yes that could well be the one I'm thinking of...good to know I'll be able to use two floppies (or a floppy/Gotek mix) once I manage to fix the boards ;)
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

I have a gotek I wired up as an external, I could try that one as well.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

OK confirmed that working 314 drive on another machine.. same psu same floppy cable.. so its something with the H5 .. I assume my soldering of the port.. or the port itself.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Can you post a image of how you have setup all the floppy jumpers ?
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Here is the pic.

I re-flowed the joints on the Floppy port, I dont think any were bad, but they all got a touch up.

20211004_101444.jpg
20211004_101444.jpg (347.71 KiB) Viewed 1717 times

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”