H5C1- firST STeps

Share your building progress here!
JezC

Re: H5C1- firST STeps

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:47 pm Jumpers seem fine I think. I suggest get a cart port on and use the diag cartridge. Test RAM out, and do the floppy drive tests.
Thanks for the suggestions @exxos - I have a diag cart in my basket (with a couple of other goodies) & have a cart connector available. I'll probably place the order tonight...just need a quick check on any other essentials I'm missing!

Is it worth checking if ACSI works yet? I can fit the DB19 & try it with a (working) mechanical drive in the meantime/while waiting for the order to arrive...
JezC

Post by JezC »

One other idea...I have a couple of Falcon RAM boards that I could try instead of the SIMM?

I know the SIMM itself is OK (tested with YARTT for several hours on the H4) so I'll also check my soldering on the SIMM socket, just in case...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Ok, parts ordered from the Exxos store...including the diag cart!

@exxos If possible, can you pop one of those LED boards for TRUDIE in with this order please? Just in case I do actually sort out the issue with this H5C1, I'm planning to put the TRUDIE in this one (but if not, it will probably go in the working H4 for now).
JezC

Post by JezC »

Just received the notification that my order has been posted!

:yay: :yay2: :cheer: :dualthumbup:

Next job is to get that cart port soldered in ready for testing with the diag cart...might solder in teh ACSI connector at the same time 8-)
JezC

Post by JezC »

Latest package of Goodies (goody goody yum yum - and apologies to anyone who doesn't get that obscure reference to a British 70s TV show) has arrived!

So, once I fit the cart port I should be able to test the RAM and floppy on the H5 & see what that turns up.

@exxos Many thanks to you & Dawn (and Harry of course!) for the very fast shipping.
Also thanks again for the TRUDIE LED prototype board.
That will be on the jobs list once the H5 works with Floppy drives & the TRUDIE is in & working... ;)
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:47 pm Jumpers seem fine I think. I suggest get a cart port on and use the diag cartridge. Test RAM out, and do the floppy drive tests.
Ok, cart socket installed & booted with diag cart OK.

RAM test reported 4M ok,

Floppy test failed, see below
Disk A: DS
Formatting Side 8 Track 00
EB Bus Error Access Address: 4E4E58 Program Counter: 3B001F
EA Address Error Access Address: 3B001F Program Counter: FA0E88
EA Address Error Access Address: FD3FFB Program Counter: FABE8A
EA Address Error Access Address: 00386D Program Counter: FAGESC

Note that this drive, cable & floppy disc have been working fine in the H4 until now.

Any ideas anybody?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bus error would be generated by glue. Probably a bad address on it somewhere.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:52 am Bus error would be generated by glue. Probably a bad address on it somewhere.
Ok, I've got as far as setting up my working H4 & poorly H5 so all I have to do is swap the keyboard & PSU/floppy between them (so my H4 is running a DIP 68k, PLCC version is in the H5, both have the modified TOS 1.04 showing memory & FDD info & both have a working 72 pin SIMM in there).

I'll set up the second PSU & keyboard later tonight (and probably switch the H4 back to using ext floppy as drive A) so that I only have to swap video & power leads between them.

While doing this, I noticed that my (working) H4 doesn't have the jumpers on JP18 & JP19...does that matter? Only using both boards without the 22V10 for now (and the floppy drive is a Citizen OSDC-29C FWIW

So, hoping to try and see what might be the problem on the address lines to/from the GLUE relating to floppy accesses next. I'll check the soldering on the GLUE socket etc. later tonight if time allows.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm While doing this, I noticed that my (working) H4 doesn't have the jumpers on JP18 & JP19...does that matter? Only using both boards without the 22V10 for now
Jumpers are to control the GAL.. So without the GAL the jumpers don't do anything.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:15 pm Jumpers are to control the GAL.. So without the GAL the jumpers don't do anything.
Great - thanks for ruling that out! :thumbup:

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”