DoG's H5 C1 Build

Share your building progress here!
DoG

DoG's H5 C1 Build

Post by DoG »

I finally picked up my H5C1 from the post office today. It had been there for over a week. Lots of fluffy white candy was stuck on my board. The ROM pins weren't soldered in but everything else seems to be there. Nada problemo. I haven't bought a thing for this so I will see what I have for it in my stash.

EDIT: Oh... forgot... I didn't have to pay any more fees for customs duty! That was a big relief.

Mmm... Yummy...
Mmm... Yummy...
H5C1_fluffy_marshmallows.jpg (228.38 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DoG's H5 C1 Build

Post by exxos »

DoG wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:44 pm EDIT: Oh... forgot... I didn't have to pay any more fees for customs duty! That was a big relief.
Good to know :thumbup:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Most of the stuff acquired… I'm missing a WD1772 so I have to borrow that from somewhere. Also missing a battery holder.

H5C1 bits and pieces 2.jpg
H5C1 bits and pieces 2.jpg (282.56 KiB) Viewed 3300 times
DoG

Post by DoG »

Well. It's booting. I got no sound at all. I haven't solder in the 100K resistor yet but I got the impression that you should hear sound initially anyway?

But I seem to get the same problems as @JezC and @DaveC has regarding floppy not working. HDD works and I'm running YYART right now. So DMA is working. WD1772 is from my H5 B1 and floppy is working there. The gotek I'm using is working on my H5 B1. I haven't start looking for fault yet.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@DoG Hmm...not even thought to check the sound yet...but IIRC the YM2149F does have a couple of pins associated with the floppy interface...?

So you basically have bits working in your H5B1 board but not in the H5C1...and barring the floppy cable all mine work in the H4.

I'll try to do a bit more testing tonight to check H5C1 with my external floppy.

Any other H5C1 owners out there with a working external floppy?
DoG

Post by DoG »

JezC wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:12 pm @DoG Hmm...not even thought to check the sound yet...but IIRC the YM2149F does have a couple of pins associated with the floppy interface...?
You are right. Changed YM2149 and now I have both floppy and sound working. Pin 19, 20 and 21 does have function with the disk drive as you said. Drive A select, drive B select and side 0 select. The YM2149 was a untested unit I had in my stockpile. I got a bunch of them from China some time ago so it seems I need to test them all apparently. Maybe that was just a dud since I swear that I have used on of them in other boards and it was working then.

I don't have any Hsync so RGB2HDMI doesn't work but I beeped it to the glue and I have connection there. What is needed by the glue to make that signal? My cheap SCART to HDMI converter doesn't seem to care about Hsync. SCART rely on Csync (Composite Video) but isn't that made out of Hsync on the board? I have to play around a bit with that.

Here is my GemBench pic and how it is set up at the moment:

GB test TF536 on H5 C1.jpg
GB test TF536 on H5 C1.jpg (323.77 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
H5 C1 with TF536.jpg
H5 C1 with TF536.jpg (456.17 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
JezC

Post by JezC »

:coolpics: :goodpost: :bravo: :cheers:

Glad you got it working (and that it was a simple fix)...I'll have to dig out a 'spare' YM2149F to try on one of my boards...but that one works fine on my H4 (with ext. floppy B jumpered to be drive A...)...and I'm pretty sure I bought this one from the Exxos store too.... :roll: :shrug:

Sadly I've not had any time to try anything further tonight, though I've now found a suitably long internal floppy power lead to try the internal connection as drive A...but that is a job for another day...hopefully tomorrow.

Nice to see that TF536 in pride of place (mine's from @PhilC too...)..and is that your decoder between the PSU and the TF536?
DoG

Post by DoG »

JezC wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:26 pm ....and is that your decoder between the PSU and the TF536?
Yeah. I made some changes to the original one I made since I'm using them in various motherboards. They are thinner, easier to solder and I also got the same connections on both ends of the board.

Decoder board for 256K ROMs smol.jpg
Decoder board for 256K ROMs smol.jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

If you were looking at saving space, the TF536 should fit in the socket next to the psu but might need a socket to space it up a bit. That's where I put mine :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:15 pm If you were looking at saving space, the TF536 should fit in the socket next to the psu but might need a socket to space it up a bit. That's where I put mine :D
Photos please @PhilC - may need to fit the TF536 and TRUDIE in mine (once I sort the floppy issue)...but not sure how best to arrange them... :roll:

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”