CeRiAl's H5 C1 Build

Share your building progress here!
CeRiAl

Re: CeRiAl's H5 C1 Build

Post by CeRiAl »

exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:28 pm What value resistor did you actually fit?
100K, but I could change it to another value as I have a full set of resistors now again :)

Since my last post I actually tried out the X2GS and I honestly was blown away!
I tried it out with Cubase Lite and the Duke 3D Grabbag MIDI - just wow! :o

I noticed the sound volume level of the X2GS is just fine, just what I'd expect. But the "normal" sounds coming from the Yamaha (?), like for example title-music and in-game sounds of "The Chaos Engine", Lemmings etc. are too quiet, 25% to 33% compared to the sound volume coming from the X2GS module via the S2-Midi-Synth connector, I also didn't touch TV-Volume between testing games and Cubase.
exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:28 pm It might just be a 33pF capacitor, but I don't honestly remember ever fitting them.
Hmm, it arrived like this from your shop (though still in working condition, not visibly broken ;) ), I didn't fit anything afterwards, so maybe it came prefitted from the manufacturer like this?

Anyway, I tried my luck again with this broken capacitor after checking every pin for shorts and proper connection - also connected the Pin #39 on Shifter this time, still no luck, white screen.
Your debug cartridge didn't arrive yet (it's hanging in customs right now), I will look if I can see anything using the cartridge when it arrives.
| Atari 1040STF (4MB) | Phoenix H5C1 (in progress) | Amiga 1200 (ACA1221, Orinoco WiFi w/WPA) | Ultimate-64 Elite (Pixelwizard SX-64-Style) | Powerbook G4 (MorphOS-PPC) | TheC64 Mini (w/working keyboard) | Atari 800XL | Atari Portfolio | Newton MessagePad 2100 | ... and more |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

CeRiAl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:42 pm I noticed the sound volume level of the X2GS is just fine, just what I'd expect. But the "normal" sounds coming from the Yamaha (?), like for example title-music and in-game sounds of "The Chaos Engine", Lemmings etc. are too quiet, 25% to 33% compared to the sound volume coming from the X2GS module via the S2-Midi-Synth connector, I also didn't touch TV-Volume between testing games and Cubase.
I wonder if you have fitted a slightly different version module than we have tried ?

There was S2 and X2, but you quote X2GS I do not know if there is any difference..

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =89&t=3614
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yep there is a GS and non-GS

https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS

https://www.serdashop.com/DreamBlasterX2

You have actually fitted a module which has not been tested.. So it is likely the volume problem is inconsistent on the GS compared to the non-GS version :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

The highlighted resistor is 10K for X2 volume. You would have to remove this resistor and fix something like a 2.2K resistor in series with a 10K preset.. Start the preset in the halfway position and just audibly change it until a volumes level match YM and X2.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (162.11 KiB) Viewed 2336 times

As you know the value, you can remove the resistors and just sold in a fixed 0805 to keep the board neat.
CeRiAl

Post by CeRiAl »

exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 pm The highlighted resistor is 10K for X2 volume. You would have to remove this resistor and fix something like a 2.2K resistor in series with a 10K preset.. Start the preset in the halfway position and just audibly change it until a volumes level match YM and X2.

As you know the value, you can remove the resistors and just sold in a fixed 0805 to keep the board neat.
Thank you for the explanation! :thumbup:
I just tried the following to rule out my memory is playing games on me:
  • Disconnected the X2GS completely (it was my understanding that it's identical to the X2, only it has an officially licensed GS-bank - but there might be other differences too)
  • Started a few games to verify the volume
  • Connected my original Atari 1040STF with the same cable to the same TV with unchanged volume setting for comparison
Clearly here for my setup (even with nothing on the S2-connector) the volume is 50% or less of that of my original Atari, which matches my observations before. Is there a possibility that I made a mistake when connecting the 100K resistor?
I will check and resolder the connections there tomorrow to be sure that my installation of the resistor caused this.

Another thing I noticed is that I can hear quite some noise via the TV when accessing the floppy (nearly sounds like a "floppy sound emulator"), I assume from the data and control lines?
But as the board currently runs completely without any shielding and without any casing I thought this was the reason for the noise, just wanted to mention it for the sake of completeness. No such noise is audible when using the original Atari with complete shielding.

:-?
| Atari 1040STF (4MB) | Phoenix H5C1 (in progress) | Amiga 1200 (ACA1221, Orinoco WiFi w/WPA) | Ultimate-64 Elite (Pixelwizard SX-64-Style) | Powerbook G4 (MorphOS-PPC) | TheC64 Mini (w/working keyboard) | Atari 800XL | Atari Portfolio | Newton MessagePad 2100 | ... and more |
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

CeRiAl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 pm Clearly here for my setup (even with nothing on the S2-connector) the volume is 50% or less of that of my original Atari, which matches my observations before. Is there a possibility that I made a mistake when connecting the 100K resistor?
I don't know,Check your work and see :)
CeRiAl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 pm Another thing I noticed is that I can hear quite some noise via the TV when accessing the floppy (nearly sounds like a "floppy sound emulator"), I assume from the data and control lines?
You should not hear any noise relating to that.. I had the problem on some Atari's but never the remake boards. So I do not know why you would hear that noise.

In terms of YM volume.. boot with a blank floppy, and use the key click sound for reference.. Games might inherently have quieter volume I don't know. But both volume levels were set up a simulation and on my scope to be exact levels.

I would also check soldering on the YM chip, make sure the pins are clean etc. and also check the soldering on the audio circuit just in case there is a bad connection somewhere.

But also do not forget I did a modification on the X2 module , by removing and soldering over 2 capacitors.
CeRiAl

Post by CeRiAl »

exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 pm I don't know,Check your work and see :)
Will do and report back tomorrow! :)
exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 pm You should not hear any noise relating to that.. I had the problem on some Atari's but never the remake boards. So I do not know why you would hear that noise.
That's very interesting, as it's really quite audible. Will make a recording of this noise tomorrow. Could it caused from interference because I currently don't have shielding in place, or shouldn't I hear this even in this case?
exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 pm In terms of YM volume.. boot with a blank floppy, and use the key click sound for reference.. Games might inherently have quieter volume I don't know. But both volume levels were set up a simulation and on my scope to be exact levels.

I would also check soldering on the YM chip, make sure the pins are clean etc. and also check the soldering on the audio circuit just in case there is a bad connection somewhere.
Thank you for your hint, checking the YM-chip also was my next idea. Will also check soldering on the audio circuit!
exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 pm But also do not forget I did a modification on the X2 module , by removing and soldering over 2 capacitors.
I indeed missed this in the first place, but I have found your post now which explains your modifications. ;)

Thanks a lot for your support!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

CeRiAl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:09 pm That's very interesting, as it's really quite audible. Will make a recording of this noise tomorrow. Could it caused from interference because I currently don't have shielding in place, or shouldn't I hear this even in this case?
Pretty much everyone on here has never run their machine with the shielding in place. I certainly haven't. In fact the whole remake project was developed that way. Using the shielding cannot do any harm at least, but it should not otherwise have any great effect on anything.

If there was a bad connection on the audio circuit somewhere, could be very susceptible to RF noise. But otherwise it should be virtually silent noise wise.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 pm But also do not forget I did a modification on the X2 module , by removing and soldering over 2 capacitors.
I would do this one as a very last resort as my X2 works fine without this modification.

@CeRiAl - work through all of @exxos' suggestions on checking the YM and audio circuitry first.

Do you have the same audio issue when an S2 or X2 is not plugged in?
CeRiAl

Post by CeRiAl »

Icky wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 pm
I would do this one as a very last resort as my X2 works fine without this modification.
Yes, I actually didn't want to do this modification now directly anyhow, as I don't have any of the described hiss and the X2GS otherwise works fine so far.
Icky wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 pm @CeRiAl - work through all of @exxos' suggestions on checking the YM and audio circuitry first.

Do you have the same audio issue when an S2 or X2 is not plugged in?
Yes, will do all the other checks first! Noticed the noise on the first time I turned the machine on, so it's quite possible that there's a bad connection in the audio area, especially because exxos mentioned a bad connection would be susceptible to RF noise.

For the second part: yes I also have the issue (low volume & noise) when the X2GS is not plugged in.
I actually had the noise even before I did the 100K audio fix, so I don't think I caused it with doing it.

Will check YM and audio circuitry tomorrow, will call it a day for now. ;)

Return to “H5 C1 USER BUILDS”