WANTED: Short 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable

List your Atari wares and wants here.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WANTED: Short 50 pin SCSI ribbon cable

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:17 pm Also, if it helps clear things up, the TT SCSI IC is NOT the end of the chain if you dont have board terminators, its in the middle of the internal/external chain. :)
Good to know. Be interesting to look on the schematics and see where the termination lies.

I haven't used anything SCSI for years, but I do remember the Y cable configs where the HBA was in the middle and the cable middle connector plugged into that with a drive at either end, and only the drives were terminated.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:49 pm I haven't used anything SCSI for years,
Neither have I, apart from some quick TT internal HDD drive/external CDROM setup about a year ago.

The real test will be when I finally set up a TT/Falcon with internal HDD drive, external CD-ROM drive, 2x Yamaha CBX-D5 units and an 'audio record' drive at the end of the chain. (There may even be a scanner in there for good measure too).

Incidentally, I checked the SCSI2SD v6 wiki and it has now been tested and works with a TT...that's just after I recently purchased the v5.5! :evil:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:36 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:49 pm I haven't used anything SCSI for years,
Neither have I, apart from some quick TT internal HDD drive/external CDROM setup about a year ago.

The real test will be when I finally set up a TT/Falcon with internal HDD drive, external CD-ROM drive, 2x Yamaha CBX-D5 units and an 'audio record' drive at the end of the chain. (There may even be a scanner in there for good measure too).

Incidentally, I checked the SCSI2SD v6 wiki and it has now been tested and works with a TT...thats just after I recently purchased the v5.5! :evil:
Isn't it always the way that you buy something just before something better is released!!!!

I used to be a field service engineer and dealt with a lot of SCSI, mostly 50 pin to begin with, then 68 pin and finally SCA. I moved on after that and started to do more software related stuff than hardware.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The TT as stock has terminating resistor packs in sockets right next to the DB25 port on the motherboard. The internal drive also needs its terminators installed.

In practise the TT's SCSI generally works fine even if the resistors are removed from the motherboard and nothing is connected as the wires are so short. When plugging in external devices they definitely need termination. Depending upon the item I either have a "Centronics" passive terminator or a Sun branded micro-DB50 active one (with an LED on it showing that there's power from the bus).
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:02 pm In practise the TT's SCSI generally works fine even if the resistors are removed from the motherboard and nothing is connected as the wires are so short.
While I wholeheartedly agree with what you say, I was trying to keep the number of variables down to a definitive working amount for Steve's sake. :D
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:47 pm
Isn't it always the way that you buy something just before something better is released!!!!

I used to be a field service engineer and dealt with a lot of SCSI, mostly 50 pin to begin with, then 68 pin and finally SCA. I moved on after that and started to do more software related stuff than hardware.
I actually researched the v6 a while ago and it was at that time faster than the v5.5, but didn't seem to work on some 'classic' SCSI stuff (TT included, or at least hadn't been properly tested).

Oh well, now it does. Yay for progress, I suppose. :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:15 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:47 pm

I actually researched the v6 a while ago and it was at that time faster than the v5.5, but didnt seem to work on some 'classic' SCSI stuff (TT included, or at least hadnt been properly tested).

And Yay that people actually build this kind of stuff at all :)
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:39 pm And Yay that people actually build this kind of stuff at all :)
Of course. It's not a problem at all really. I don't expect the TT needs any kind of ultra/wide/fast/U320 bandwidth anyway. :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:55 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:39 pm And Yay that people actually build this kind of stuff at all :)
Of course. Its not a problem at all really. I dont expect the TT needs any kind of ultra/wide/fast/U320 bandwith anyway. :lol:
Nope, standard 50 pin SCSI 1 AFAIK, so nothing unsurmountable.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:15 pm I actually researched the v6 a while ago and it was at that time faster than the v5.5, but didnt seem to work on some 'classic' SCSI stuff (TT included, or at least hadnt been properly tested).

I've had a V6 in my TT for ages with no problems at all.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “ATARI FOR SALE & WANTED”