DSTB1 exxos first tests & experimental firmware.

Discussion and support for the DSTB1 & DFB1 boosters by BadWolf..
Badwolf

Re: DSTB1 exxos first tests.

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:39 am
Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:59 am should be verifiable with byte-level peeks and pokes in STOS, BTW, but I'd be surprised if it were that.
Will try it.
Ta. Although you got to a desktop below so I don't think it's that simple.
No. I just tried from AUTO and the desktop gets more mashed. "TEMP" isn't a file on the floppy even.
Yep, that's no cop!

The fact the desktop loads at all means it's *almost* working, but clearly not suffiently reliably.

Do you, just out of interest, have an altram-free 16MHz booster? I wonder if it's the timing from the 8MHz processor that's kicking it out of whack. :/

Anyone know of any long-pinned socket strip? I could do with building one of these boosters in a straight-through piggyback mode to test this configuration.

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:19 am Do you, just out of interest, have an altram-free 16MHz booster? I wonder if it's the timing from the 8MHz processor that's kicking it out of whack. :/
I only just started doing alt-ram stuff. So none of my boards have alt-ram other than my SEC prototypes. I can add the decoding into a 16MHz booster.. just gotta find a working one in my stash here.. All my tested ones are in stock which are 40 miles away :(
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:38 am I can add the decoding into a 16MHz booster.. just gotta find a working one in my stash here.. All my tested ones are in stock which are 40 miles away :(
Well, we've got the 206 decoding sorted out with this version of the firmware already.

I just wondered if the tighter timings made any difference?

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm Well, we've got the 206 decoding sorted out with this version of the firmware already.
Yes, But I was trying to rule out by using your original firmware and a external decoder to rule out that ROM decoding was not creating a problem..But there is still something odd going on anyway it seems.

I will just focus on this firmware for now as it is getting a bit confusing with all the multiple combinations of things.

Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm I just wondered if the tighter timings made any difference?
Not sure exactly what you're referring to.. I'm just testing your latest files you sent me..

I basically cannot load anything into alt-ram, it just crashes every time.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:45 pm
Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm Well, we've got the 206 decoding sorted out with this version of the firmware already.
Yes, But I was trying to rule out by using your original firmware and a external decoder to rule out that ROM decoding was not creating a problem..But there is still something odd going on anyway it seems.

I will just focus on this firmware for now as it is getting a bit confusing with all the multiple combinations of things.
OK, yes, I'm confused too then. I thought this was the external altram 'slave mode' testing.

Let's shelve that for now since the main use case was planned to be the SEC booster originally, but that been superseded.
Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:30 pm I just wondered if the tighter timings made any difference?
Not sure exactly what you're referring to.. I'm just testing your latest files you sent me..

I basically cannot load anything into alt-ram, it just crashes every time.
What I was referring to was that slave mode wasn't working at 8MHz, I wondered if i would at 16 (since all the AltRAM dev has been at 16). But, like you say, too confusing -- also hard to do remote dev. Don't worry about it.

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:55 pm What I was referring to was that slave mode wasn't working at 8MHz, I wondered if i would at 16 (since all the AltRAM dev has been at 16). But, like you say, too confusing -- also hard to do remote dev. Don't worry about it.
Yep . I just hooked that back up again. As soon as I run altram.prg from auto it goes nuts.

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG (244.63 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG (317.4 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

But like you say, maybe concentrate on the official build of the firmware for now..
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:59 pm But like you say, maybe concentrate on the official build of the firmware for now..
OK, thanks.

Yep -- will need to sort myself out a 'slave mode' configuration to actually dev with. Thanks, though.

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DSTB1 exxos first tests & experimental firmware.

Post by exxos »

@Badwolf Cannot work out how to highlight tracks in Kicad.. But anyway.. Quicker to ask, what is DTACK and DTACK_INT.. I assume one is system and one is CPU.. not sure which is which..
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

exxos wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:12 pm @Badwolf Cannot work out how to highlight tracks in Kicad.. But anyway.. Quicker to ask, what is DTACK and DTACK_INT.. I assume one is system and one is CPU.. not sure which is which..
Errr, god you've got me know -- muscle memory only! I think it's 'i' to highlight a track.

Anyway, yes, DTACK is motherboard DTACK, DTACK_INT is the 'internal' DTACK (ie to the CPU).

BW
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Just a sanity check here that TOS206 does actually run from alt-ram without any crazy-ass patching ? as I was sure that PP's program which loads TOS into alt-ram did a lot of crazy patching to get it to work ?

But in this particular case I don't think there is any point in ROM running in alt-ram. The physical ROM can be accessed at 16Mhz anyway.

Return to “DSTB1 & DFB1 booster by BadWolf”