DSTB1 - official firmware tests

Discussion and support for the DSTB1 & DFB1 boosters by BadWolf..
Badwolf

Re: DSTB1 - official firmware tests

Post by Badwolf »

JezC wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:06 pm @Badwolf Ok, finally back from the US (and fighting the jet lag).,..but I have the CPLD, SDRAM plus buffers/level shifters, oscillator & regulator fitted.

Still to fit the caps & then the headers & the voltage select for the osc...then to try & program the CPLD I guess.

Won't get any further with this tonight though...
Cool. Good luck.

Please try the official firmware first, but if that doesn't work (and perhaps even if it does), then this is the next in line (attached).

Cheers,

BW.
Attachments
incremental-e54c003.zip
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

@Steve @JezC,

If you guys have any trouble, there's a variety of new things to try.

The attached experimental firmware will run a bit slower but should fix a read-modify-write bug. Should also sort out any sound issues on pre-STE machines. If you're seeing any problems with particular programs, worth a try.

There's a simple tester program attached too -- this is meant to pass with this firmware, if it doesn't, time to investigate.

Also there's a new version of ALTRAM.PRG if you're not using EmuTOS: https://github.com/dh219/DSTB-tools/rel ... g/20220525

This one should fix a buffer overwrite problem and should improve hard disc/floppy drive reliability.

If either of you are MiNT users, I'd like some feedback on that especially.

BW
Attachments
incremental-91c8ceb.zip
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
altrtest.zip
(8.86 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
JezC

Post by JezC »

Badwolf wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:43 pm @Steve @JezC,

The attached experimental firmware will run a bit slower but should fix a read-modify-write bug. Should also sort out any sound issues on pre-STE machines. If you're seeing any problems with particular programs, worth a try.

There's a simple tester program attached too -- this is meant to pass with this firmware, if it doesn't, time to investigate.

Also there's a new version of ALTRAM.PRG if you're not using EmuTOS: https://github.com/dh219/DSTB-tools/rel ... g/20220525

This one should fix a buffer overite problem and should improve hard disc/floppy drive reliability.

If either of you are MiNT users, I'd like some feedback on that. I'm having problems ATM.

BW
@Badwolf Ok, thanks for the info - not managed to get any more time on building up the rest of the board yet (maybe this weekend)...but I will try the original f/w & then the new one once I'm sure the original is "working".
(I need to check that the recovered 16Mhz 68k work at 8MHz in the H4 board as a first step, then try the DSTB1 board once completed...and I've still to install the programming s/w for the Xilinx CPLDs as well :lol: :roll: )
Steve

Post by Steve »

Badwolf wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:43 pm @Steve @JezC,

This one should fix a buffer overwrite problem and should improve hard disc/floppy drive reliability.

If either of you are MiNT users, I'd like some feedback on that especially.

BW
Hi BW,
Flashed & tested altrtest... will do more mint tests.
TOS is Emutos 1.1.1.

ALTRTEST.TTP runs fine multiple times.
Steve

Post by Steve »

@Badwolf Do you happen to have a zipped copy of Mint that will boot to Teradesk for a 68000 cpu? I'm trying st-mint which is designed for normal ST's but it just keeps rebooting on the xaloader.prg...
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Steve wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:28 pm @Badwolf Do you happen to have a zipped copy of Mint that will boot to Teradesk for a 68000 cpu? I'm trying st-mint which is designed for normal ST's but it just keeps rebooting on the xaloader.prg...
The 000 versions from here work for me:-

https://tho-otto.de/snapshots/freemint/bootable/

But that said, if you're not a MiNT user already, probably best not to install especially since you won't know what's a problem with DSTB1 and what's a problem with the config.
Steve wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:14 pm ALTRTEST.TTP runs fine multiple times.
That's great news, thanks!

Cheers,

BW.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Cheers. Don't worry I'm very familiar with Mint, just didn't have any pre-configured 68000 config available. I'll check Thorstens out, ta.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just an incompatibility report, using firmware here: https://exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 112&t=5471

On my short 520st, with 6x TOS EmuTOS 1.1.1.1, behaviour is: Without CE line attached, emutos constantly crashes with exception 32/33. With CE attached to TP1 it is just a white screen. Machine usually runs with Exxos 16mhz booster & decoder without issue.

On my STe, working great, 2.06&emutos, no need for CE to be attached (I assume because the STe glue can decode 2.06 by itself)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IIRC the CE line doesn't do TOS104 space decoding. So on a normal ST you would need the 256K version of EMUTOS. I am assuming as you mention 6 chip ROM you are using the 192K version.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Post by Steve »

exxos wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:36 pm IIRC the CE line doesn't do TOS104 space decoding. So on a normal ST you would need the 256K version of EMUTOS. I am assuming as you mention 6 chip ROM you are using the 192K version.
Yeah using the 192k version, which *shouldn't* need any form of decoding right? But either way I normally wire CE to your 16mhz decoder/booster and it all works fine. Just not on the DST1. I don't know enough about how all this works to draw any conclusions. As mentioned I did try with/without CE connected.

Return to “DSTB1 & DFB1 booster by BadWolf”