Gotek / HxC Manager problem

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gotek / HxC Manager problem

Post by exxos »

As @czietz says, something isn't right with the MMU. I'd suggest cleaning its pins, resolder the socket, try a different MMU.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

I'll look into it. It seems strange that it would just up and die without any warning, but it is 33+ years old and has been stored in various non-climate controlled garages and attics over the years. I guess things just die eventually. I ordered several chips from you a couple of months back, but I'm fairly certain that wasn't one of them. I'll look the chip over and try a cleaning, then go from there. I'd say I'll be looking at a replacement though.

To make matters more confusing, I see three different part numbers listed for the ST MMU; CO25912, C100109 & C101601. It seems you sell the CO25912. Are they interchangeable? Is one better or more common than the other? What are the differences between them?

Thanks again guys.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

If you're going to pull the MMU you may want to tweak the socket contacts: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... hilit=plcc

If you replace the socket this may not be a problem, but if you don't, it can help to restore contact especially if you clean the contacts on the MMU as suggested.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

I looked at the MMU and nothing looked moved or strange, so I didn't pull it. I have an extractor coming tomorrow, so I will if I need to, but on a hunch, I'd pulled the motherboard completely out of the case and away from the lower shield. Just sitting on the desktop like that, I hooked everything up and she boots just fine with anything I throw at it. I no longer get the screen memory error I was getting in YAART like before and YAART seems to be running just fine with no errors after about five passes. I'm going to let YAART run overnight and if I see no more errors, I'm going to call the memory and the MMU good and chalk this up to something shorting out when the motherboard was put into the case last. I'll slowly reassemble it and take pains to make certain everything is perfect, then run it through its paces again after she's all reassembled.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

bfollowell wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:50 am I looked at the MMU and nothing looked moved or strange, so I didn't pull it. I have an extractor coming tomorrow, so I will if I need to, but on a hunch, I'd pulled the motherboard completely out of the case and away from the lower shield. Just sitting on the desktop like that, I hooked everything up and she boots just fine with anything I throw at it. I no longer get the screen memory error I was getting in YAART like before and YAART seems to be running just fine with no errors after about five passes. I'm going to let YAART run overnight and if I see no more errors, I'm going to call the memory and the MMU good and chalk this up to something shorting out when the motherboard was put into the case last. I'll slowly reassemble it and take pains to make certain everything is perfect, then run it through its paces again after she's all reassembled.
Manhandling the board is enough to shift the MMU/GLUE/BLITTER in their respective sockets, as there is enough flex in the board and sockets for contacts to shift and either fail or work again. We often think of electronic faults immediately, but also need to consider the mechanical properties that can cause faults too. Assembly/dissassembly can be enough to break a machine.

I've had this on a few boards.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

I didn't think about that, but you very well could be right. Since my extractor tool is coming today, I may go ahead and pull the MMU and look the pins over well with my magnifier glasses and the pins in the socket as well.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Theres that age old saying "if it ain't broke, dont fix it"
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm Theres that age old saying "if it ain't broke, dont fix it"
Makes me wonder why that isn't your signature...?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

JezC wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:32 pm
PhilC wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:29 pm Theres that age old saying "if it ain't broke, dont fix it"
Makes me wonder why that isn't your signature...?
Where would the fun in that be? :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Come on Phil... what fun would that be? :dizzy:

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”