Gotek Q&A

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
JezC

Re: Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Post by JezC »

Just to mention that my approach of taking an existing ST image, copying & renaming it and then deleting all the files/adding the new files seemed to work just fine (under STEEM SSE & then on one of my real STs with a Gotek).

I've not yet had the time to try creating the disc images under Hatari (but I did get it to install).

That tool from PPera also sounds extremely interesting...as does the feature of the HxC s/w (one of my Gotek drives has the HxC boot-loader installed - that was done before I found out about Flash Floppy).
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I thought steem had a option somewhere of creating blank images ? I remember this being discussed before at some point..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:26 pm I thought steem had a option somewhere of creating blank images ? I remember this being discussed before at some point..
It doesn't, I've looked, and like you I thought it would have, which is why I use Hatari. However I will take a look at PPs tool.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
bfollowell

Re: Gotek Q&A

Post by bfollowell »

ST_AB_330_1.zip
(66.54 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Actually, no, it isn't the machine. It is the Flashfloppy or HxC autoboot file that is at fault and it affects any and everyone single person using a Gotek with any model ST. Don't believe me? Open the File Selector software, select search, and start typing. You'll see that many of the letters that come up don't correspond to the keys you're pressing unless you happen to be using a machine with an AZERTY-style keyboard. That's because the guy that designed that original software was French and he hard-coded the keyboard codes into the software. I updated this and sent it to the author of FlashFloppy and HxC. The FlashFloppy guy finally got back with me. He made a trial version and is going to work it into an upcoming revision. I haven't heard anything back from the HxC guy yet.

Anyone wanting some more detail on this topic can read through the issue request here:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/330

I don't have my machine out and available at the moment, so anyone wishing to try the new autoboot file, to see if this fixes the issue, download this new file and put it on your flashdrive and check it out.

If any of you confirm that it's good for a QWERTY-style keyboard, please let me know, so that I can let the author know and he can work it into the next revision.

Thanks.
ST_AB_330_1.zip
(66.54 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

bfollowell wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:07 pm ST_AB_330_1.zipActually, no, it isn't the machine. It is the Flashfloppy or HxC autoboot file that is at fault and it affects any and everyone single person using a Gotek with any model ST. Don't believe me? Open the File Selector software, select search, and start typing. You'll see that many of the letters that come up don't correspond to the keys you're pressing unless you happen to be using a machine with an AZERTY-style keyboard. That's because the guy that designed that original software was French and he hard-coded the keyboard codes into the software. I updated this and sent it to the author of FlashFloppy and HxC. The FlashFloppy guy finally got back with me. He made a trial version and is going to work it into an upcoming revision. I haven't heard anything back from the HxC guy yet.

Anyone wanting some more detail on this topic can read through the issue request here:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/330

I don't have my machine out and available at the moment, so anyone wishing to try the new autoboot file, to see if this fixes the issue, download this new file and put it on your flashdrive and check it out.

If any of you confirm that it's good for a QWERTY-style keyboard, please let me know, so that I can let the author know and he can work it into the next revision.

Thanks.

ST_AB_330_1.zip
@bfollowell Hi, this post seems to have no previous detail before it, possibly because of posts being relocated, can you add some info on what this post relates to please.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

bfollowell wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:14 pm There's a user over on the AtariAge forums that is having an issue with his ST after setting up and installing a Gotek with the FlashFloppy firmware. He said that the keys he's pressing don't bring up the correct letter. Q comes out as A, W comes out as Z, A comes out as Q, Z comes out as W, M doesn't work. It sounds exactly like a French AZERTY keyboard to me. The thing is, the keys all bring up the correct character when using any ST application. They're all correct. He said he bought the 1040STE new in Australia and he attached a screenshot of SysInfo confirming that it has U.K. TOS v1.6.

Are there different language versions of FlashFloppy that he could have accidentally downloaded and flashed with? Has anyone ever heard of such an issue?

I've never heard of such a thing. I'd really like to help him, but I've reached the end of my limited knowledge.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/30568 ... ard-issue/
@rubber_jonnie I think he's referring back to this one...much earlier in this topic.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm
bfollowell wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:14 pm There's a user over on the AtariAge forums that is having an issue with his ST after setting up and installing a Gotek with the FlashFloppy firmware. He said that the keys he's pressing don't bring up the correct letter. Q comes out as A, W comes out as Z, A comes out as Q, Z comes out as W, M doesn't work. It sounds exactly like a French AZERTY keyboard to me. The thing is, the keys all bring up the correct character when using any ST application. They're all correct. He said he bought the 1040STE new in Australia and he attached a screenshot of SysInfo confirming that it has U.K. TOS v1.6.

Are there different language versions of FlashFloppy that he could have accidentally downloaded and flashed with? Has anyone ever heard of such an issue?

I've never heard of such a thing. I'd really like to help him, but I've reached the end of my limited knowledge.

@rubber_jonnie I think he's referring back to this one...much earlier in this topic.
Thanks @JezC , didn't have time to look as at work! It should be remembered that FlashFloppy does not require the HxC autoboot.hfe file, you can use disk images directly from the root of the USB stick.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie I'm working too - but the laptop takes a couple of minutes to compile the code so I had chance to look & stop me getting too bored! :D

I need to find which of my Gotek drives has the HxC boot-loader & try the different features between HxC and FF...when I have the time! :lol: :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:07 pm @rubber_jonnie I'm working too - but the laptop takes a couple of minutes to compile the code so I had chance to look & stop me getting too bored! :D

I need to find which of my Gotek drives has the HxC boot-loader & try the different features between HxC and FF...when I have the time! :lol: :roll:
I did have one with HxC that I acquired when I got given a 520STFM, but I ended up flashing it with FlashFloppy in the end for consistency with my others.
bfollowell

Post by bfollowell »

JezC wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Yes, I was referring to this earlier set of posts. Sorry about that. I thought I'd quoted the original reply, but obviously I didn't.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”