Gotek Q&A

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 pm
Ah, fair enough, definitely worth installing beside STEEM on my Win 7 box then...might even be able to compare the two in action!
Will see if I can find a suitable MIDI app to try in both emulators when time allows..
I think you'll find it's pretty good. Not that Steem isn't, I just find Hatari easier to get on with. Be interested to find out your Midi findings.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:07 pm I think you'll find it's pretty good. Not that Steem isn't, I just find Hatari easier to get on with. Be interested to find out your Midi findings.
Will try to install it this evening...are you using the latest release (from early last year)?
Looks as if there are a few supporting applications to get better overall support too.

Once I have something set up, I will post my progress/findings (and the last few entries here should probably be put into a new topic too I guess)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:28 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:07 pm I think you'll find it's pretty good. Not that Steem isn't, I just find Hatari easier to get on with. Be interested to find out your Midi findings.
Will try to install it this evening...are you using the latest release (from early last year)?
Looks as if there are a few supporting applications to get better overall support too.

Once I have something set up, I will post my progress/findings (and the last few entries here should probably be put into a new topic too I guess)
I am using the latest, and I should probably move these to a new topic too :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrdweeb

Post by mrdweeb »

How do I start a non .st program from gotek? I have .tos program I need to run. Great tutorial and thanks in advance.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrdweeb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:11 am How do I start a non .st program from gotek? I have .tos program I need to run. Great tutorial and thanks in advance.
Thanks for your question, and I'm glad you found the tutorial useful :)

AFAIK, you cannot run the .tos file directly from Gotek, it doesn't work that way, however it is possible to get around. There is pretty much only one way I would do this. It doesn't mean there isn't another way, however I find this way to be easy.

You will need get the emulator Hatari and set it up to start as an ST. I'd suggest you set it up the same as your physical machine in terms of RAM and TOS, but it isn't essential. Having a good working emulator is an essential tool for an ST owner anyway, so a worthwhile exercise.

You will also need to set up a GEMDOS hard drive. First create a folder on the PC running Hatari called "GEMDOS", then from the Hatari main menu, select "Hard disks", and select the "GEMDOS" folder as a GEMDOS drive. Put your .tos file in the "GEMDOS" folder and boot the emulated Atari.

Check you have a C: drive (The "GEMDOS" folder) and that it contains your .tos file.

Next, from the Hatari main menu, select "Floppy disks", make a note of the default floppy images directory. This is where your disk image will be created.

Then select "Create blank image". Accept all of the default options and click "Create". At the next dialogue box you can name the disk image. I suggest you name it something relevant, then click "OK".

This will take you back to the dialogue which says "Create" and "Back". When you click "Back", you will be asked if you want to insert the last created disk. Insert it into drive A. Close the Hatari menu, and on the emulated ST desktop open drive A:, which will be the blank disk you just created.

Next double click on the C: drive to open the contents of your GEMDOS folder, and drag your .tos file to the A: drive.

From the Hatari floppy disk menu, eject the disk from the A: drive. Don't forget to do this as if you don't eject, you can get odd results so don't miss this step.

Copy the .ST image you just created to your USB stick and use it in the Gotek as normal.

This method works for any files that aren't already on an .ST image, because you're creating your own.
czietz

Post by czietz »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am AFAIK, you cannot run the .tos file directly from Gotek, it doesn't work that way, however it is possible to get around. There is pretty much only one way I would do this. It doesn't mean there isn't another way, however I find this way to be easy.
I'm aware that this thread is about the FlashFloppy firmware for the Gotek. But if one uses the HxC firmware instead, it is possible mount directories directly from the USB stick. Thus, with HxC firmware it's significantly fewer steps:

- copy .TOS file (or .PRG file, or whatever) and all other required files (e.g., .RSC files) to a folder on the USB stick called <somename>.mnt,
- on the Gotek select that folder on the OLED display,
- run your program as if it were on an .ST image.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

czietz wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am AFAIK, you cannot run the .tos file directly from Gotek, it doesn't work that way, however it is possible to get around. There is pretty much only one way I would do this. It doesn't mean there isn't another way, however I find this way to be easy.
I'm aware that this thread is about the FlashFloppy firmware for the Gotek. But if one uses the HxC firmware instead, it is possible mount directories directly from the USB stick. Thus, with HxC firmware it's significantly fewer steps:

- copy .TOS file (or .PRG file, or whatever) and all other required files (e.g., .RSC files) to a folder on the USB stick called <somename>.mnt,
- on the Gotek select that folder on the OLED display,
- run your program as if it were on an .ST image.
Always good to have options, but I don't have HxC so can only really give advice around that.
DoG

Post by DoG »

PP has a tool that can take files and put it in a .ST image. On that page there is empty image (.ST) you can use to load in your files. I haven't used it myself. Only for Windows.
mrdweeb

Post by mrdweeb »

This is helpful, thanks a lot.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrdweeb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:07 pm This is helpful, thanks a lot.
Cool. The whole purpose of the forum is to get different opinions and information, it's nice to see all the other contributions, glad you got something useful 😁

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”