Gotek as an external floppy drive

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
PeteW

Gotek as an external floppy drive

Post by PeteW »

Currently my gotek is replacing the internal floppy drive on my stfm because my machine had the original drive missing when I bought it.

I recently acquired an original floppy drive so want to put that back in the machine and make the gotek external.

Questions I have:
1. Can I make the gotek into an external drive without purchasing and butchering an old external floppy drive?
2. Can I get the st to boot from the new external gotek if I want to load software from it on boot?

All help appreciated!
PaulJ

Re: Gotek as an external floppy drive

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, I put a gotek into a 314 case which is used on a MSTE. The gotek was a ST drive A before I moved it no changes. I also had a 354 drive but the floppy connector was some weird thing so you couldn't use it unless you re-wired the floppy connector. I've read some 354's are normal and some have the weird connector.

If you want to reboot off the gotek you need to electrically swap the drives so the external gotek becomes the A: drive and the internet drive becomes B: . I believe some people here have done it so search around for swapping floppy's. Also the H4 has jumpers for that desire I believe.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The "weird connector" is a Chinon one, see one of my earlier posts about changing the cable to be Shugart compatible.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =13&t=2189
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I dropped a Gotek into a Datel external drive enclosure and had noproblems.

That particular enclosure has no internal electronics other than a power regulator and the 14 pin DIN plug goes straight to a 34 pin floppy connector. Which reminds me I need to finish off my wiring diagram and post it on here!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 pm I dropped a Gotek into a Datel external drive enclosure and had noproblems.

That particular enclosure has no internal electronics other than a power regulator and the 14 pin DIN plug goes straight to a 34 pin floppy connector. Which reminds me I need to finish off my wiring diagram and post it on here!
I'd be really interested in seeing that circuit. Will maybe make an external drive style case for the gotek, but if I can avoid using old original equipment, that would be a better solution in my mind
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PeteW wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:22 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 pm I dropped a Gotek into a Datel external drive enclosure and had noproblems.

I'd be really interested in seeing that circuit. Will maybe make an external drive style case for the gotek, but if I can avoid using old original equipment, that would be a better solution in my mind
I did make a start on the circuit, there are only 14 pins out of 34 connected, so it's nothing difficult, at least I have one of the 14 pin DIN plugs, which are in short supply it seems.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”