gotek oled issue

Update your old 720k to a 1.44 drive etc.
philbo34

gotek oled issue

Post by philbo34 »

evening
my gotek with the oled idsplay only shows random garbage when powered up making seeing what slot number problematic to say the least.
images load ok though . if i turn the cable round i get a clear message telling me that .
ive swapped usb sticks clean installs etc but always get same result.
wiring is correct.
i know i'm prob doing something daft but after reading everything i can find i'm still puzzled.
the drives came with the oled fitted .
cheers phil
Steve

Re: gotek oled issue

Post by Steve »

When this happens the OLED display needs resetting, do this: try leaving the ground on back of the actual PCB drive, then touch 5v on (so leave all the OLED connectors plugged in, and try the drive itself to see if that resets it).

I had this problem and it fixed it.
philbo34

Post by philbo34 »

do you mean the jumpers near the power connector ?
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

I had a gotek OLED which had garbage on it and this was due to using a USB 3 stick. Went back to USB 2 devices and have avoided using USB 3 devices since with my goteks.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
obitus1990

Post by obitus1990 »

Flashfloppy firmware? If so, have you changed USB sticks lately, therefore using a different FF.cfg that has a different sized OLED in it (128x64 vs 128x32) specified in it? That can do it, for sure.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I had a faulty OLED which came with the GOEX drive. When powered up with the drive (or a GOTEK) it would display garbage but quickly disconnecting and reconnecting it would fix it, until the next power cycle. I just replaced the display with one which worked.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
philbo34

Post by philbo34 »

Cheers gents will try those suggestions after work
philbo34

Post by philbo34 »

Thanks for the help all working .
centuriontech

Post by centuriontech »

Out of curiosity, could you post a detail picture of MPU (main chip) markings?
As there is a shortage of STmicro MPUs, Goteks with different chips surfaced lately. And I mean completely different architecture chips, not just fake STM. Such are of course not compatible with FF firmware.

Return to “FLOPPY DRIVES KITS & UPGRADES”