New user on a journey of ST discovery....

New user? Tell us about yourself!
nick_p

New user on a journey of ST discovery....

Post by nick_p »

Hi all,

Nick here... Located in Gloucestershire, UK.

I'm into electronics, retro gaming (of the 90s Console type up till now), and amateur radio. I do have memories of gaming on my friends Ataris and Amigas in my very young years but I have to admit, they are vague.

I stumbled across the ST again while researching old music that I used to, and still do listen to. I was big into house and trance music in the 90s and was shocked to discover most of it was put together on an Atari ST. This got me researching and I decided that as I already have a full Midi Yamaha keyboard from my youth in the loft, why not get an ST, Cubase and some other Midi kit and have a play!

So a quick search of Ebay and I ended up with a "fixer upper". Boxed STFM with no power supply, untested, but in good condition. Obviously a refurbed power supply didn't bring it instantly to life. That wold have been too easy for an Ebay purchase :lol:

So here my journey begins. I have some experience with electronics and test equipment. I repair, service, align, re-cap vintage CB and amateur radio for fun, so have a scope, meters, signal generators etc, but not done anything with logic as yet (except for very basic PLL chips for channel select)

I'll start another thread with my findings, troubleshooting, and work completed once I get settled, but wanted to introduce myself first.

Cheers

Nick
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New user on a journey of ST discovery....

Post by Icky »

:welcomewave: - good place to start is with the mandatory fixes for the ST. https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1585
JezC

Post by JezC »

Welcome on board!

What keyboard/other MIDI gear do you have?
Also which version of Cubase are you after?

There are a couple of good groups on FB for Atari's and music.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

:welcomewave:

What @icky said :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:welcomewave:
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
nick_p

Post by nick_p »

Thanks all :)

I've ordered some bits to work through the mandatory upgrades and will add the results to my troubleshoot post.

As far as midi kit... just a Yamaha PSS-780 keyboard that I was given for Christmas as 9 year old at the moment.. so plenty of learning to be done there too!

Cheers

Nick

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”