4mb MMU upgrade STFM RAM test fail

Upgrade your RAM from ST to Falcon.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4mb MMU upgrade STFM RAM test fail

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:11 pm A faulty glue in the 520ST I got from you gave me FDD problems.
GLUE pretty much has its hands in everything. One bad address line to it and you can have multiple faults all over the machine.. Of course bad address lines can be also a symptom of mandatory fixes not been done.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

Yes, I did that before I ever posted, I read lots of info from the board before getting that far. I don't really like asking for help. After all, its been going for years and there are lots of posts on the same subjects. The only problem I had was when I do a search and get say 200 results, I can normay only view the first page and then it doesn't let me go further, so the possibility of missing relevant posts from the past is high. I know the board is run by a third party. So I need to sign off for today, thanks for all contributions. :)
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

Short update after nearly a year. I used the same upgrade on a different board and it seems to work fine. I also have the same shifter chip which I broke the pin off. I bunged lots solder on it and it also seems to work. I also soldered another shifter board from scratch. I had no reason to believe the other one was faulty, just fancied the challenge as I have more idea of what I am doing now and am better equipped. My eyes and hands are still a bit old and knackered, though. :D In other words if your board is in order these upgrade kits run without problems. The original STFM board I will at some point mess around with and try to see what I can find.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

russellnash wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:33 pm Short update after nearly a year. I used the same upgrade on a different board and it seems to work fine. I also have the same shifter chip which I broke the pin off. I bunged lots solder on it and it also seems to work. I also soldered another shifter board from scratch. I had no reason to believe the other one was faulty, just fancied the challenge as I have more idea of what I am doing now and am better equipped. My eyes and hands are still a bit old and knackered, though. :D In other words if your board is in order these upgrade kits run without problems. The original STFM board I will at some point mess around with and try to see what I can found
These types of upgrade do rely on a lot of things being 'just right', especially with the PLCC sockets, so good to hear you've been able to put it to use.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
russellnash

Post by russellnash »

It pays to keep bashing away at things. After over two years I have got the original STFM board working. I fitted this type of 4mb upgrade. I ended up sometimes with a white screen, sometimes with black and white stripes. The halt pin 17 of the CPU was mostly stuck low. The inverters of the U1 74LS chip on the reset circuit weren't working very reliably, so I changed that chip. It still didn't boot.
Pin 20 on the TOS Roms was always stuck high. The U68 74LS11 NAND gate for the two chip TOS was receiving a high input at pins 9,10 and 11. The output at pin 8 was stuck high.
I replaced the U68 chip and it booted. The RAM passed the memory test without problems, no screen corruption.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:

Note the LS11 is a AND gate. If any of the 3 inputs are low, the output will be low.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “RAM UPGRADES”