Setting Up a dual boot rom

Upgrade or replace the ROM.
PhilC

Re: Setting Up a dual boot rom

Post by PhilC »

Ok, it sounds like you're sorted then Ken.

I'll probably check out Cartman at some point but the GQ software does everything I need for now anyway.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
derkom

Post by derkom »

Glorfindeal wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:15 pm I’m using Parallels Desktop on my Mac. I’m running Windows 10. There isn’t a program for the GQ-4x that runs on the Mac.
I will be interested to know how well this works for you. I have found that using VirtualBox with Windows 10 as guest, I am unable to communicate reliably enough with my EPROM programmer to write chips successfully. So now my real Windows 10 box, which is kept alive for gaming purposes, has a second task in life. :lol:
Glorfindeal

Post by Glorfindeal »

I’ll have to wait until I get the erasable EPROMs in before I’ll know. I decided I didn’t want to test on OTW EPROMs. 6 of them cost me $42. I don’t need anymore coasters :)
Glorfindeal

Post by Glorfindeal »

While I haven’t tried to burn anything yet, I did set up the usb driver and software in Parallels Desktop. I connected the GQ-4x4 and the software wouldn’t detect the programmer. I had to do a detect hardware and restart the VM. After that I’ve had no problems with the software detecting the programmer. I did upload a file to test. Now I’m just waiting for the uv EPROMs to come in to test.

Ken
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

My erasables are still in China, but they are moving within the system at least! Fingers crossed they won't be too long as I am champing at the bit to test my dual image out!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 am My erasables are still in China, but they are moving within the system at least! Fingers crossed they won't be too long as I am champing at the bit to test my dual image out!
Want me to test it for you?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:07 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 am My erasables are still in China, but they are moving within the system at least! Fingers crossed they won't be too long as I am champing at the bit to test my dual image out!
Want me to test it for you?
Sure that would be cool, I'll upload them it a bit.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PhilC

Attached is the dual rom file ROM file I built, with ROM images as follows:

1. TOS 1.04 - Patched to display RAM/TOS version/No of floppies on boot. Also patched to allow booting from IDE devices if present. Works extremely well on my Mega 1 as having a laptop IDE drive, the info on boot delays long enough for it to spin up.
2. TOS 2.06 - Standard and unmodified in any way.

The original image I made was byteswapped on creation compared to a working TOS 1.04/2.06 ROM I already had.

Therefore the image attached here was byteswapped using cartman, and when compared to the working image has no differences beyond those that the new TOS 1.04 image was patched for.

I use a TL866II+ BTW.

Be good to hear how you got on, as I intend to drop this image into my Mega 4 and H4 once I have the ROM chips so that I can boot from IDE in either TOS 1.04 or TOS 2.06.
Attachments
TOS_104_PIDE_206_BS.IMG.txt
(512 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Just as a side note in all this, is that PP ROM a publicly available one ? as if this was purchased from PP and people are uploading it here without permission.. he is going to start flaming likely me again about it all as its on my forum...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:39 pm Just as a side note in all this, is that PP ROM a publicly available one ? as if this was purchased from PP and people are uploading it here without permission.. he is going to start flaming likely me again about it all as its on my forum...
No the PP ROM is not publicly available.

Return to “ROM UPGRADES”