Video: Replace Atari STE ROMs with EEPROMs

Upgrade or replace the ROM.
BlankVector

Video: Replace Atari STE ROMs with EEPROMs

Post by BlankVector »

Hi, here is my contribution to show an example of how to replace STE ROMs with EEPROMs (French speech, English subtitles).
And many thanks to Exxos for this forum, because it contains a lot of very valuable hardware information, not available anywhere else.

Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
troed

Re: Video: Replace Atari STE ROMs with EEPROMs

Post by troed »

Very nicely produced video - this is perfect for anyone beginning to tinker with their hardware.

/Troed
Dlfrsilver

Post by Dlfrsilver »

BlankVector wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 pm Hi, here is my contribution to show an example of how to replace STE ROMs with EEPROMs (French speech, English subtitles).
And many thanks to Exxos for this forum, because it contains a lot of very valuable hardware information, not available anywhere else.
I watched you doing in the video. You got troubles because without flux applied on the solder, it's very complicated to melt the solder.
Atari very mostly used wave soldering, and the solder was not really good. With flux, the solder melt easily, and you can do what you want with no difficulties.
BlankVector

Post by BlankVector »

Dlfrsilver wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:18 pm I watched you doing in the video. You got troubles because without flux applied on the solder, it's very complicated to melt the solder.
Atari very mostly used wave soldering, and the solder was not really good. With flux, the solder melt easily, and you can do what you want with no difficulties.
Thanks for the hint! I bought flux since then 😊
But I haven't tried it yet.

Also, my iron is small and not very hot. I should invest into a more modern one, with adjustable temperature. I saw there are many cheap ones.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
alexh

Post by alexh »

I recommend that if you're going to replace STe ROMs with EPROMs that you use 27C1000 as they don't require any jumper changes.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
Dlfrsilver

Post by Dlfrsilver »

BlankVector wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 pm
Dlfrsilver wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:18 pm I watched you doing in the video. You got troubles because without flux applied on the solder, it's very complicated to melt the solder.
Thanks for the hint! I bought flux since then 😊
But I haven't tried it yet.

Also, my iron is small and not very hot. I should invest into a more modern one, with adjustable temperature. I saw there are many cheap ones.
With flux, you can melt the solder at a lower temperature or with a not that powerful solder iron, it's more easy. There are good and cheap soldering stations on Amazon.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Nicely done, Vincent.

A little neater than when I did mine. Fewer burned fingers too, I note. ;)

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark

Return to “ROM UPGRADES”