Dual TOS 1.62/2.06

Upgrade or replace the ROM.
8bitguy1

Dual TOS 1.62/2.06

Post by 8bitguy1 »

So I haven't made any purchases yet, I want to test my idea here before I pony up any money...

I want to have Dual TOS with an external switch on my STE. My STE has 4mb of RAM, an ICD AdSpeed Card, Floppy Drive (real), and I've installed a switch so I can flip to an external floppy and make it the A drive. I also have an UltraSatan. What I'd like to do is by way of an external switch, run either TOS 1.62 or 2.06 on boot up. Based on my reading so far I'd need the following:

ASSEMBLED STE DUAL TOS 1.62/2.06 (NO ROM) £32 23 In Stock [0139]
TOS162 / TOS206 ROM USA £12 13 In Stock [0140]
TOGGLE SWITCH £1 148 In Stock [0010]

Is that all? and would this work? (the AdSpeed wouldn't muck anything up? - I haven't even taken off the case, but I'm assuming it won't be in the way physically). Also if I buy this "assembled" version the soldering is really just limited to "from the jumper to the toggle switch"? Unless I decided to desolder the socket, but I shouldn't need to do that...

Any confirmation of this would be great...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dual TOS 1.62/2.06

Post by exxos »

All looks good to me.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

In relation to the dual TOS switcher, yes that's what you need. I have 2 STEs that use this same sort of setup and that should be enough for the TOS switcher part.

I would add that you might need to solder the switcher in, as they come up pretty tight on the FDD drive when plugged into the ROM sockets as I did. Personally I have Goteks on custom 3d printed mounts, so it isn't really a problem for me. Just have a good read of the install instructions and do what will work in your machine.

I don't think the AdSpeed will be a problem, but you might need to look at the instructions for exxos 32Mhz STE booster to try and figure out how you can run the ROM at high speed like that booster does, because otherwise the ROMs will be fixed at 8Mhz. That booster has a pad that feeds the switcher board via a wire to speed up ROM accesses, but I don't think the AsSpeed will have an equivalent. I can't be 100% sure because I am unfamiliar with the AdSpeed.

Your Ultrasatan should be fine, but you may want to look at the mandatory fixes to give yourself the best chance of avoiding SD card corruption.

Mandatory fixes are here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1585
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
8bitguy1

Post by 8bitguy1 »

Thanks. I've used this STE for years with the UltraSatan and confirmed I have the "good" DMA, so I'm okay there. I assume the AdSpeed would work fine because it's fine with the current ROMs? This machine is not new to me, I've own her a while...(10 years at least) I feel pretty comfortable with it, I even have a new EXXOS power supply for it, but I haven't installed it because I read somewhere it doesn't co-exist with NetUSB very well?

Any thanks for the detailed response, if it doesn't work, I'll just revert the machine back - but I feel like it's worth trying at this point.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

8bitguy1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 pm I even have a new EXXOS power supply for it, but I haven't installed it because I read somewhere it doesn't co-exist with NetUSB very well?
NetUSB Is a very fickle piece of hardware, if the planets are aligned it is enough to upset the thing.
8bitguy1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 pm I assume the AdSpeed would work fine because it's fine with the current ROMs?
I cannot really comment on it because I have never owned that hardware or even known anyone who has.. But my boards will run at 32Mhz.. I doubt the AdSpeed runs that fast anyway ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

8bitguy1 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:00 pm Thanks. I've used this STE for years with the UltranSatan and confirmed I have the "good" DMA, so I'm okay there. I assume the AdSpeed would work fine because it's fine with the current ROMs? This machine is not new to me, I've own her awhile...(10 years at least) I feel pretty comfortable with it, I even have a new EXXOS power supply for it, but I haven't installed it because I read somewhere it doesn't co-exist with NetUSB very well?

Any thanks for the detailed response, if it doesn't work, I'll just revert the machine back - but I feel like it's worth trying at this point.
Given the AdSpeed is already running with 8Mhz ROMs I expect it will be OK with the switcher too and definitely worth a try, and will be fine without any connection to make the ROMs run faster as exxos booster does.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

The AdSpeed is a very interesting accelerator board, advanced for its time.

I use one in my Mega ST4 that runs my BBS and it's been a real champ.

Page 4 of the owners manual talks about a high speed ROM option.

HTHs.

Page 004.zip
(192.86 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

16mhz is fine for my dualtos ROMs, they are 55ns and I use them at 32mhz on the STE.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Darklord wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 am The AdSpeed is a very interesting accelerator board, advanced for its time.

I use one in my Mega ST4 that runs my BBS and it's been a real champ.

Page 4 of the owners manual talks about a high speed ROM option.

HTHs.

Page 004.zip
Nice.

BTW I am now a member of your BBS @Darklord :)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:38 am
Nice.

BTW I am now a member of your BBS @Darklord :)
Welcome aboard! :)
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040

Return to “ROM UPGRADES”