Getting ROMs burnt

Upgrade or replace the ROM.
DaveC

Getting ROMs burnt

Post by DaveC »

Anyone in the UK willing to burn some 44 pin PLCC ROMs?
Wouldn't mind having an emutos rom and also wouldn't mind having various things to use with the diagnostic cartridge even if I do need to modify it to hide the catridge until I wish to use things like ultimate ripper on it.
JezC

Re: Getting ROMs burnt

Post by JezC »

If no-one else comes forward, I can probably do it. If you can tell us what system you want it to go in & so on, all the better.

Big risk is the price of the blank devices now, over £5 each for the OTP parts IIRC, so there's a big cost associated with any mistake.
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

I don't mind burning you some, but like Jez says, you need to be 100% sure what you need before committing to burn the one-time-programmable ones. £7 a pop last I checked.

OTOH, you could invest in a few of these sort of things: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192622321121

HN27C4096 (the HN is Hitachi) is the keyword.They have the UV window to let them be erased and rewritten when you want to upgrade. They're old, though. Probably 90s vintage and despite what the sellers will claim, they won't be new old stock so expect broken and bent legs. You need to order a few to guarantee a couple of good ones.

But, whilst that might cost you the same as a couple of new on-time-programmable Atmel versions, these will be re-usable. Swings & roundabouts.

Get yourself some chips and then drop Jez or me a DM.

Cheers,

BW.

PS. I put a guide together for PLCC programming (intended for the Falcon) here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =27&t=4271
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Cheers guys. I need to order some items from mouser though what I want doesn't quite reach the free postage limit. So a couple of ROMs is pretty much the same cost as the postage charges I'd pay anyway, even with a couple of spares a lot cheaper than a programmer and the adapters needed for doing it myself.

Obviously the ROM to go in diagnostic cart isn't system specific. Though should easily contain DiagROM, EmuTOS cartridge version, Ultimate Ripoer, LLS, AnCool's explorer and Multiface. Probably more for the sake of being able to have them all available should I wish to use them, but if you want to have a cartridge ROM might as well fill it up?

Other ROM would be mainly aimed at my STe so 1.62 TOS and EmuTos. If needed the EmuTOS section should work with my H5 board with a decoder anyway.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Badwolf wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 pm PS. I put a guide together for PLCC programming (intended for the Falcon) here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =27&t=4271
I made up a few converter (PLCC-44 to 40 pin DIL) PCBs if anyone's interested in one. I've four left.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:17 pm I made up a few converter (PLCC-44 to 40 pin DIL) PCBs if anyone's interested in one. I've four left.
Interesting - which system were they for? Probably not an Atari ;)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

They are for the Atmel EPROMs so that you can program the PLCC-44 devices in a DIL programmer such as the TL866. It translates to the pin-out for the 40 pin DIL device.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@stephen_usher Sorry - I should have phrased that more clearly, which EPROM sizes does it work with (and which pin-out as I think some of the variations are not compatible) - and which system have you used them in?

Just nosy...but also may be interested (since one of the other flash-based alternatives is not currently available...sniff)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I modified a 44 pin PLCC adapter that came with my TL866 Pro, just needed some pins jumping with bodge wires and it works a treat. It just maps the 44 pin PLCC chip to 40pin DIP alternatve.

I can highly recommend getting some of the Hitachi UV erasable PLCC EPROMS that @Badwolf suggested. I have some as it gives you the latitude to test your ROMs before burning to an OTP PROM.

I ruined 2 OTP PROMS at £7 a pop before seeing sense and sourcing the EPROMS.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

JezC wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:42 pm @stephen_usher Sorry - I should have phrased that more clearly, which EPROM sizes does it work with (and which pin-out as I think some of the variations are not compatible) - and which system have you used them in?

Just nosy...but also may be interested (since one of the other flash-based alternatives is not currently available...sniff)
It's the 27C4096. It's purely a pin for pin translation using the datasheet.

PLCC44-EPROM-Adapter.jpg
PLCC44-EPROM-Adapter.jpg (85.25 KiB) Viewed 2777 times

Return to “ROM UPGRADES”