PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

Just thought I'd open up a little topic where I post what I've been up to Atariwise, in case any of it is of use to you guys.

So to get us started, I've finally got one of my Mega STs finished. At least for now.

It started off as an ST1 but had a problem with the Ram. Turns out that someone had tried to fix the ram by putting sockets in but instead, managed to break the Ram more than they fixed it. To fix it I removed all the Ram chips and put a 4mb Marpet that I'd removed from an STFM into it.

Next was to try and get it to boot but turns out the DMA had died. Replaced DMA, this time in a socket and it finally booted.

Next was to fit the Gotek with the 3d printed bracket I found on Thingverse. will edit this as I'm not quite happy with it and want to retain some of the original floppy looks. I may just design a 3d printed fascia and glue it on.

Then in went the Mega buffer board followed by Exxos V2.2 booster, with the 16/8mhz switch at the back. May just leave it as Tos 2.06 as I'm not so much worried about compatibility and too lazy to install another toggle switch.

Then finally, I designed the little Ultrasatan mount that let's the encased Lotharek Ultrasatan sit in the expansion port, with the SD cards accessible from the rear.

What do you think?
20190224_165116.jpg
20190224_165116.jpg (457.1 KiB) Viewed 14836 times
20190224_165128.jpg
20190224_165128.jpg (237.34 KiB) Viewed 14836 times
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Re: FMNs blog / the latest things hes briken(fixed)

Post by JezC »

Looking good. Just picked up a Mega ST4 with SM124 and a Megafile (plus some music software and Midex+) so once I've seen how much work it needs I might try and follow your lead as funds allow.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

JezC wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:18 pm Looking good. Just picked up a Mega ST4 with SM124 and a Megafile (plus some music software and Midex+) so once I've seen how much work it needs I might try and follow your lead as funds allow.
The Mega is my fave ST at the moment as it's so easy to work on and upgrade.

So good luck with the mega ST4. Post some pics hen you get time :-)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Nice job!! Really like the form factor. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
JezC

Post by JezC »

Will do. Keyboard is missing a couple of keys...but I managed to buy a reconditioned mega st keyboard a few months ago. :D
Hoping most of the rest of the kit is fully functional.
Might get started testing it all later tonight when the kids are in bed (and my wife as well).
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

LOL @ the wife comment
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:35 pm Nice job!! Really like the form factor. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks, will do something similar with the other Mega once the Pak is up and running properly.

And to think my wife thought me buying a 3d printer would be short lived and it would end up gathering dust in the cupboard.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

:coolpics:

Nice tidy unit Forgottenmyname, looking good.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:46 pm
PaulJ wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:35 pm Nice job!! Really like the form factor. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks, will do something similar with the other Mega once the Pak is up and running properly.

And to think my wife thought me buying a 3d printer would be short lived and it would end up gathering dust in the cupboard.
Ya, I've been planning on getting one but I'd like to master a 3d design tool first. Didn't want to just download cup holders and print them. An the wife would say what do ya want that for? It will just collect dust. Nice work FMN!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Plenty of cup holders on thingverse. I use Fusion 360, it's a very powerful 3d tool.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”