Icky Projects

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
philbo34

Re: Icky Projects

Post by philbo34 »

And to think they changed the wiring colours years ago to help colour blind people .....guess they forgot about stupid
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I once had to go and sort out a neighbour's plug that wasn't working and all 3 wires, so earth, neutral and live were all connected to the earth pin.

Based on the scorch marks around the socket and the sheepish looks I was getting, all 3 may have been connected to live before I arrived!

Stupid never goes out of fashion.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

There's an old engineering saying, "You can never make anything fool proof as fools are very inventive."
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

I came across this Fluorx PVDF filament today.

https://www.3dxtech.com/product/fluorx-pvdf/

It made me chuckle reading one of the specs as being resistant to nuclear radiation. Had visions of @exxos printing out a bunker in this stuff but of course in Pink :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Icky or pimp up his van with a custom radiation proof body kit.

The only things to survive the apocalypse will be the cockroaches and @exxos :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:41 am The only things to survive the apocalypse will be the cockroaches and @exxos :lol:
Fine by me :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Now I am in my new (old) house its over with the I might be a bit quiet #2 ... thread.

I have started to get my temporary office up and running (some more posts today as I have been digging out my Atari gear) but thought I would give you a peek into the retro / atari office project for the summer. The old shed at the bottom of the garden is going to get some TLC so that it can house all my gear securely and at decent temps etc. Fortunately there is adequate electrics with its own consumer unit. There is a bit of damp that needs sorting out but not a too difficult job to handle.

IMG_0807.jpeg
IMG_0807.jpeg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Looking fantastic @Icky , can't wait to see it all kitted out.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Icky nice big space that, bit of insulation here and there, especially that roof and then make it all dry, warm and secure.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Thanks @rubber_jonnie / @PhilC. Yep the roof outside has had a modern shaped metal roof put on and the damp is due to there being no guttering so the water is dipping all in one corner.

Exactly as you say @PhilC - add in insulation on the walls, floor and roof and we should be good. Floor needs a bit of attention as the corner where the damp is as it is a little spongy. Some replacement timbers are needed I expect.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”