Icky Projects

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
mikro

Re: Icky Projects

Post by mikro »

Sweet. :) As I faced similar problem and since I lack your 3D printing / PCB designing skills, I had to do with a home made solution:
ribbon.jpg
ribbon.jpg (171.93 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
card.jpg
card.jpg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
outside.jpg
outside.jpg (127.5 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
The biggest hell was to flip *all* the ribbon connectors, so I could place it like that (otherwise they would go the "wrong" direction - on the top of the PCB). This way I could keep even the shielding and everything.

As you can see, even the 4 MB module fits nicely.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Nice solution @mikro. I did go down that route but wasn't satisfied. Plus the external graphics 3D printed GFX card housing I did still kept nagging at my OCD. I really wanted a neat solution.

Am hoping I can refine this so it becomes a sort of frame that can be placed into the TT and provide all the right ports out neatly at the back.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I assume since it also has VME, this might work for the MegaSTE as well?

Is anyone aware of any modern solutions for VME as I'd be interested in some sort of adapter to drop a suitable VGA card into mine?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Not Atari but a bit of retro.

Nicely printed Crash 2021 ZX Spectrum annual

IMG_6017.jpeg
IMG_6017.jpeg (285.55 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

More reading a nice small reference book for £2.

IMG_6035.jpeg
IMG_6035.jpeg (363.47 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:31 pm More reading a nice small reference book for £2.
Ohhh that penfold guy, expect mass errors! :lol: I actually think I have that book somewhere here..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Yet another printer arrives

IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6210.jpeg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 6194 times

Stumbled at the first hurdle - it doesn't like BigSur the printer is not recognised. Works fine in Windoze but seems that BigSur on the Mac yet again is the mother of all upgrades.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hardly anything works with Big Sur. They changed so much under the hood that devices drivers are completely incompatible as are anything which interacts with the kernel directly, such as Anti-Virus programs. Sophos expect to get their anti-virus working on it by... The Autumn!
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:00 pm Hardly anything works with Big Sur. They changed so much under the hood that devices drivers are completely incompatible as are anything which interacts with the kernel directly, such as Anti-Virus programs. Sophos expect to get their anti-virus working on it by... The Autumn!
Agree they have messed up a bit with BigSur.

On the other hand I have fixed the issue. Had some stale FTDI drivers which aren't playing nicely with the BiGSur apple version. Remove those old ones that have been working pre-BigSur and it is now recognised.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

:dualthumbup:
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”