Icky Projects

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: Icky Projects

Post by PhilC »

@Icky I know what you mean, I did the same with some new motorbike gear I had hanging up in the wardrobe when I heard one of my friends son was just starting out.

Someone is going to be very lucky.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Whilst restoring this TT I found it a great opportunity to get all the SCSI drives from the various TT's and MegaSTE's that I stored away safely and transfer all the contents that came with them onto SD card via the Thunder IDE.

Going through there is a lot of stuff on these. My TT must of been used mostly for Cubase and Calamus in its former life. Going to have some fun tonight taking a deeper look at what's on here.

IMG_0184.jpeg
IMG_0184.jpeg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

You're building a really nice TT there, way to go!

I have Thunder, Storm and Lightning for my TT, also have the VME adapter for ISA graphics cards and finally found the an ATI albeit only Mach32 -Mach64 is almost impossible to find or buy when you find.

I am looking for the STRam upgrade to 10MB. Is there some sort of BOM and how-to?
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 am I am looking for the STRam upgrade to 10MB. Is there some sort of BOM and how-to?
@MegaSTEarian - look up lynxman on the German Atari Forum https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php he is the person who creates these boards. I have had nothing but good service from Lynxman and good due diligence with instructions.

As for the BOM its just the board, removing the old ram chips, soldering the board in place, 1 track cut and 3 wires to solder.

EDIT: This board in the pic a few posts back is Lynxman's latest version which is slightly smaller and fits better. The first one I fitted I used headers and sockets to plug the board in but this second one I just soldered directly onto the original ram board and its very slimline with that way of building.
MegaSTEarian

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Icky wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:25 am
MegaSTEarian wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 am I am looking for the STRam upgrade to 10MB. Is there some sort of BOM and how-to?
@MegaSTEarian - look up lynxman on the German Atari Forum https://forum.atari-home.de/index.php he is the person who creates these boards. I have had nothing but good service from Lynxman and good due diligence with instructions.

As for the BOM its just the board, removing l the old ram chips soldering the board in place, 1 track cut and 3 wires to solder.
Cheers!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

MegaSTEarian wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 am I have Thunder, Storm and Lightning for my TT, also have the VME adapter for ISA graphics cards and finally found the an ATI albeit only Mach32 -Mach64 is almost impossible to find or buy when you find.
Yep this TT is destined to have an ATI Mach 64 fitted but its going to take a little longer as I need to finish off my VME GFX card nova frame board. Idea for that started back here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =30#p52724
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hey Icky, use Kobold it's much faster and reliable!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Latest non-atari project has been around outdoor led lights. I have been playing with a very long led rope type of light which is 30m. Problem is at that length 12 or 24v is not very good and there are kits out there for 240V and are very well sealed but they fall short at the controller box as that is definitely not water proof or RCD.

Well to cut a long story short I have been fitting the electronics control circuit into a proper water tight box which also has a clear front panel so as to receive the IR from the remote.

When I opened up the controller case I noticed that all the wire colours did not correspond to what they should be on the PCB silkscreen. This has got to be one of the worst wiring jobs I have seen.

Let's start at the mains entry point. Firstly there was no earth that was one of my first fixes. Second the Blue was on the line marked as L and the Brown on the line marked as N.

IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg (125.94 KiB) Viewed 4094 times

Just to sanitise my thinking that its the wrong way round I popped open the plug and .....

IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0265.jpeg (171.97 KiB) Viewed 4094 times

Next the LED output wires. Black wire is actually on the pin marked as Green (LEDs) and the Green wire is on the pin mark GND.

IMG_0263.jpeg
IMG_0263.jpeg (164.04 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Our entire extension at our old house was wired up backwards. To top it off every light switch in the house was installed 'upside down' to the general convention.

I think the builder wore spurs and a stetson.
Icky wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:56 pm Just to sanitise my thinking that its the wrong way round I popped open the plug and .....

13A fuse for some LEDs too? Do they also power the kettle? :lol:

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:02 pm 13A fuse for some LEDs too? Do they also power the kettle? :lol:
Beat me to it! :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”