Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, minor bum clenching moment there.

Upgrading the firmware in my Ultimate 1MB for my main A8 (The 800XL) and after a reboot as requested, suddenly my SIDE3 stops working.

It's a case of RTFM in my case, and it turns out I've used the wrong, but completely valid firmware and disabled the necessary components of the U1MB that enable it to talk to the SIDE3.

Here's where it useful to have another way of getting to the ATR image file. Thankfully I have an SIO2SD and an SDrive-MAX, so I drop the necessary files onto the SDrive, boot to SpartaDos X using the U1MB, navigate to D1: of the SDrive and run the flash tool from there.

I'll have to make sure I follow the correct procedure next time, but at least I have it all working again. Phew!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@stephen_usher Just had confirmation my vDrive QL has shipped:)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yay! :cheer: :girldance:
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

vDrive QL still in New Zealand, but on the way at least, as is my M1 Pro Macbook :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

vDrive QL is still airborne, it has been since the 21st October. I do hope they are doing air to air refuelling since that's a long time to be airborne :)

Just going through my project list and updating:

1. Mac Classic- Get an RGB2HDMI and try setting up the logic board I have from my own Classic plus the one from @Tomswork (Thanks again Tom :)) I have just sorted out some storage in my spare room, so can dig this out and start work on it. I have concerns about sorting an RGB2HDMI because of the chip shortage.
2. 2x H4s to build!! This is why I don't have an H5 yet. As per item 1.
3. Apple ][ - replace RIFAs in PSU and checkout the video out as the signal is a bit fuzzy. Get a FloppyEMU. All done, plus I will have a play with my new Retrotink, see if I can get it looking better. Apple ][e's are known for shonky composite.
4. Finish case repairs for Mega ST keyboard. Ongoing.
5. Work out what's wrong with my Spectrum. As per item 1.
6. Reassemble my retro area to include more machines! Getting there very nicely.
7. Scour previous posts for other projects I may have half abandoned and probably should resurrect! I've not found any more, let me know if you all do :)
8. @exxos CosmosEx (when he sends it over!!) @exxos I'm still up for this if you are? Don't forget I've changed address BTW.
9. GeaseWeazel stuff.... Still in one of the many unpacked boxes, so as per item 1 again.
10. See if I can get the Apha board running. Low down the priority list, but still here.
11. Build Electron ULA replacement(I have the PCB, just need the BOM) On hold due to the chip shortage. Thanks to @Icky for trying to find an alternative.
12. BBC B ROM and other related stuff. Low down the priority list.
13. Do any stuff in the BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING section that I have either forgotten or couldn't do because my stuff was in storage! I think this is up to date, so you all shout if you want more.
14. FDD fixes (Seltron & Atari 1050) Ongoing, I think the Seltron is nearly there, but I need to do some more figuring out. I think the 1050 has a dead 6532 (RIOT) as it gets really hot, so I'm waiting for spares.

Time to go and start unpacking some boxes and move some projects along :)

New storage is looking good:

Storage.jpg
Storage.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:54 am 8. @exxos CosmosEx (when he sends it over!!) @exxos I'm still up for this if you are? Don't forget I've changed address BTW.
Need your new address :lol:

Was waiting for you to settle down, as it might end up under a pile of boxes under the cat or something :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

You missed off testing the Phoenix Shifter v2 prototype @rubber_jonnie to test on the H4's when you build them. May be build one with out the video DAC etc so you can just plug the Phoenix Shifter in and save you time on the build. :)

Basically you don't need any of the purple enclosed area components if using the Phoenix Shifter:

IMG_5027.png
IMG_5027.png (764.96 KiB) Viewed 1785 times

EDIT: Those storage units are looking good. I expect you will fill them up really quickly.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:00 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:54 am 8. @exxos CosmosEx (when he sends it over!!) @exxos I'm still up for this if you are? Don't forget I've changed address BTW.
Need your new address :lol:

Was waiting for you to settle down, as it might end up under a pile of boxes under the cat or something :lol:
New address PM'd just now.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:37 am You missed off testing the Phoenix Shifter v2 prototype @rubber_jonnie to test on the H4's when you build them. May be build one with out the video DAC etc so you can just plug the Phoenix Shifter in and save you time on the build. :)

Basically you don't need any of the purple enclosed area components if using the Phoenix Shifter:

IMG_5027.png

EDIT: Those storage units are looking good. I expect you will fill them up really quickly.
I have 2 H4s that are bare boards ATM, so one will be getting the HDMI Shifter :)

As for the storage, yep it's filling up nicely :) Pictures later!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok, so this is the current state of storage filling:

IMG_20211024_162514.jpg
IMG_20211024_162514.jpg (313.14 KiB) Viewed 1762 times

And I'm pretty pleased with the progress, especially since I think I have managed to unpack just about all my retro machines :)

At least half of the unpacked boxes in the "box room" are dealt with, so there is a good deal of space in there now, but there are still boxes. Some have workshop stuff, but are mainly things like cables etc, so I really need to get some plastic storage boxes for those, and the remaining boxes are 'our' stuff and non workshop, and so need unpacking to their correct places.

I also managed to get quite a bit of stuff into the nooks and crannies going spare in my workshop, so overall a very good weekend unpacking wise. The rest should be relatively easy to get done, and we do plan for some additional shelving. Nice to actually have all my 2600/7800/Spectrum/Oric & C64 stuff out of boxes and easy to access too :)

And yes, I know the QL is upside down, but it'll be coming down soon on account of the vDrive being imminent :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”