Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
JezC

Re: Life, the universe & everything...Atari (well, mostly)

Post by JezC »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:40 pm I bought a Cat with my ex in 2009 and still miss him.
Yes, they become a treasured part of the family. We are building up quite a collection of wooden boxes for their individual ashes now...and we keep saying "no more pets"...but so far we have always ended up replacing them before too long.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

JezC wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 pm
Cosmic Puppet wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:40 pm I bought a Cat with my ex in 2009 and still miss him.
Yes, they become a treasured part of the family. We are building up quite a collection of wooden boxes for their individual ashes now...and we keep saying "no more pets"...but so far we have always ended up replacing them before too long.
Always worth it. My parent's home isn't the same without Cats.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Collected that 1040STFM + SM124 monitor today...the 1040 has red LEDs for the power & floppy but has the small button floppy plus a modulator, so that's a first for me (all the other STs I've had with red LEDs have come with TOS 1.00 & large button floppy drive).

The SM124 needs a small tweak (horizontal offset needs a change as it's losing the left-hand edge of the screen as an overly bright line) but a read of the manual should show which pot needs adjusting (but probably needs the cover removing first)...

The 1040 boots & appears to have TOS 1.02 fitted...but the floppy is not working (was listed as not having checked the floppy, so no drama there).

Hopefully I will get chance to open it up & see what's inside & maybe check it works with a Gotek in place of the floppy.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The floppy might just need exercising. The one on the 486 had jammed (gooey grease) but eventually freed itself before I had a chance to take it out.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:48 pm The floppy might just need exercising. The one on the 486 had jammed (gooey grease) but eventually freed itself before I had a chance to take it out.
Interesting...I will give it a visual check tonight & check the operation with a working floppy to rule out the main board and circuitry/cables, then I have a good idea of any possible problems.

Thanks for the info!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:26 pm Collected that 1040STFM + SM124 monitor today...the 1040 has red LEDs for the power & floppy but has the small button floppy plus a modulator, so that's a first for me (all the other STs I've had with red LEDs have come with TOS 1.00 & large button floppy drive).

The SM124 needs a small tweak (horizontal offset needs a change as it's losing the left-hand edge of the screen as an overly bright line) but a read of the manual should show which pot needs adjusting (but probably needs the cover removing first)...

The 1040 boots & appears to have TOS 1.02 fitted...but the floppy is not working (was listed as not having checked the floppy, so no drama there).

Hopefully I will get chance to open it up & see what's inside & maybe check it works with a Gotek in place of the floppy.
Definitely a clean needed on that FDD, make sure everything is moving as expected. I have one with red LEDs and a small button floppy I think, will have to check.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 pm Definitely a clean needed on that FDD, make sure everything is moving as expected. I have one with red LEDs and a small button floppy I think, will have to check.
Yup, going through the "pay those essential bills, then see what is left over" list at the moment, then I'll disassemble the new addition & see what's going on inside.

Would be good to know either way...thanks.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:22 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 pm Definitely a clean needed on that FDD, make sure everything is moving as expected. I have one with red LEDs and a small button floppy I think, will have to check.
Yup, going through the "pay those essential bills, then see what is left over" list at the moment, then I'll disassemble the new addition & she what's going on inside.

Would be good to know either way...thanks.
I think pictures would be awesome ;)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:31 pm I think pictures would be awesome ;)
I'll try & get (and then post) some pictures over the weekend. Tried it with a different floppy drive & that seemed ok, so it may just need a thorough clean of the floppy.

I've not had time to dig out the SM124 manual see how to tweak the horizontal deflection...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:32 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:31 pm I think pictures would be awesome ;)
I'll try & get (and then post) some pictures over the weekend. Tried it with a different floppy drive & that seemed ok, so it may just need a thorough clean of the floppy.

I've not had time to dig out the SM124 manual see how to tweak the horizontal deflection...
Beware the Kilovolts!!

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”