Random STuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
DoG

Random STuff

Post by DoG »

So... since it seems that most active members have a blog in here now I thought I might as well have one.

Just writing down all this for my self really to keep track of what I have going on. In no particular order:
  1. Got a H4 #2 to solder up. I have the board but haven't order any parts for it yet. Don't have a spare shifter and they are quite impossible to find. So this will probably be a board for the new HDMI board in developing stages.
  2. Doing a Alt-RAM board with 256Kb ROM switcher on it. Schematics and board has been done. 5 PCB is being made. Parts has been ordered.
  3. Mega-ST IDE board. Same as rubber_jonnie has done. Made a few changes to the board design. I have soldered one board and have 4 more. I have not burnt the GAL for it yet though. Don't have a Mega or the GAL burner here in the flat. Probably use this with a 27C4001/27C040 and a small board I got some time ago to switch between 4 different ROMs.
  4. Fit all the stuff in the Falcon so I can close the lid on it. Fitting the picoPSU with the CT60. Also fitting the buttons and power connector for PSU in the back. Need to get some parts for it.
  5. Get the PAK68/3-030 to 50MHz. Now at 40 MHz. Need to get hold of FRAK, PuPla or perhaps PCB for or doing board myself. Seems a long way to go.
  6. Solder up a IDE-PCB R1C v1.1 i got from exxos. I have the parts for this.
  7. Mouse/joy switcher. I have done the schematics for this but need to buy a suitable box for it so I can make the PCB board for it. I got most of the part already.
  8. Make the 36 MHz STe booster I got from exxos a while ago, down to 32MHz. Well, just to get it to work really.
  9. Fix a 1040 STfm board I have laying around.
  10. Fix a keyboard which have broken traces. Probably since someone have ram their fist in the middle and the post underneath rammed thru a bit. I have checked the pcb and it doesn't seem that difficult to fix with a few wires.
  11. Fix another MegaST 1 I got to 4 Mb. Changing resistor array and a new PSU. Already got a Meanwell PSU but it needs fitting on the bracket.
  12. Recap two PSU. One STfm and one MegaSTe.
  13. Upgrading one or two TT ram boards to 10 Mb ST-Ram.
  14. I soldered up a TF534 some time ago. I haven't programmed it yet. So need to do that.
  15. Solder a NetUSBee board I got. I got all the parts and I have solder some components on it already.
  16. Change a Dallas RTC in a Falcon.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Random STuff

Post by exxos »

:bravo:

So what is tomorrow's to do list then ? :lol: :sarcasm:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Hehe, I don't know where to start...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Good idea to have the job list online - i'll borrow that for my retro projects if that's OK?

I'll have to keep it separate from the blog itself or I will totally lose the plot (assuming that I haven't already, of course :lol: :oops: )

:thumbup:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Good list, Im too busy doing my stuff to write down the hideously long list of stuff I have to do.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm Good list, Im too busy doing my stuff to write down the hideously long list of stuff I have to do.
:goodpost: :lolbig:
DoG

Post by DoG »

BTW, here is the post where I got the Alt-Ram schematics from. Or if I found it somewhere else.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

DoG wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:46 pm [*]Change a Dallas RTC in a Falcon.

[/list]
Dog, just a little warning that one pin was extremely hard to unsolder on the clock chip. I believe it was the ground pin but there must be a huge ground plane there that is not temperature relieved. I had to use hot air on the bottom and a soldering iron on the top to remove the solder from the hole. Turned out well but was nerve racking when it refuses to clear. :)
DoG

Post by DoG »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:33 pm
DoG wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:46 pm [*]Change a Dallas RTC in a Falcon.
Dog, just a little warning that one pin was extremely hard to unsolder on the clock chip. I believe it was the ground pin but there must be a huge ground plane there that is not temperature relieved. I had to use hot air on the bottom and a soldering iron on the top to remove the solder from the hole. Turned out well but was nerve racking when it refuses to clear. :)
I have already changed the RTC on one Falcon. But it was a while ago. I can't remember if I had any troubles. But thanks for the heads up anyway.

On an other note, I usually desolder the floppy cable from the mainboard on all my Ataris. They are a pain in the butt to desolder since half of the pins go to a massive ground plane. Then solder in a IDC floppy connector on the board. Nowadays I crank up the desoldering gun and leave it a bit longer in these holes and it goes rather painless. It's the same when you hit the ground pins on the MC68000 socket. You notice the heat dissipates rather quickly.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@DoG , I suspect the ground plain wasn't temperature relived so there just wan't anyway you could get enough heat from one side of the board. Suspect it was a screwup with that run of pc boards. Luckily a friend had board heater I was able to borrow it made the difference. Glad I stopped attempting to get it with just a iron. Really didn't want to hurt the board. Anyhow good luck.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”