Installed new Exxos Falcon clock patch in my Phantom

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Steve

Installed new Exxos Falcon clock patch in my Phantom

Post by Steve »

Hey guys,

A few years ago I used Exxos's v1 clock patch, but then I installed a Phantom accelerator in my Falcon and it didn't work. I was out of options but luckily @mikro had uploaded schematics of the phantom clock patch which was designed to work with it, so I made this DIY patch and it worked OK. In the last few years I noticed I my SCSI wasn't reliable and so I tried Exxos new clock patch which has inherited certain phantom features like the gate delay. But also has the added benefit of all his other measurements and tweaks with resistors and capacitors to reduce ringing and noise.

Long story short: it works perfectly! And my SCSI is also now 100% reliable.

Patched my sdma trace as it was previously cut:

PXL_20210221_133516006.jpg
PXL_20210221_133516006.jpg (421.97 KiB) Viewed 10498 times
PXL_20210221_140910013.jpg
PXL_20210221_140910013.jpg (433.11 KiB) Viewed 10498 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Installed new Exxos Falcon clock patch in my Phantom

Post by exxos »

Fantastic! and thanks for testing this out! Another box ticked on what the exxos buffer can do! :cheers:

I see what they mean about the "boot leg" around the inductor now! Atari must have auto routed the hell out of the Falcon PCB. I can see several "right angle traces" where they could have been easily done at 45deg.. again Atari living up to bad PCB routing. Though they were probably not long out of doing prototypes and shoving the Falcon out the door while Atari was at the door of going bust.. we thankful for that of course.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Rustynutt

Post by Rustynutt »

Just found this post.
Great news.
Disregard my other post :)

Have your tried anything above 24/48MHz ?
25/50 is working well here.
Steve

Post by Steve »

No I don't change the Phantom board I've got installed. I'd rather not play with Voodoo. :lol:
nemox

Post by nemox »

Hi, what frequency do you use phantom clock? And do you check partition with treecheck on ide and scsi? Sorry for my englisch:-)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”