General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

I've ordered a MiSTer Multi-System from the RMC shop. That won't arrive until the end of November though.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:13 pm I've ordered a MiSTer Multi-System from the RMC shop. That won't arrive until the end of November though.
Oooh, nice, be interested to see some pics when you get it :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The vDrive sound boards have arrived at last. They spent 4 days in a DHL warehouse bouncing between "Processed" and "Hold" before moving on.

It's been manic at work this week as it's "0th Week" at Oxford University, meaning the week before the beginning of term but when students are starting to arrive. It's also the beginning of the academic year and also the powers that be have landed the task of rebuilding our A/V systems with only 3 weeks notice and expecting it all to be ready by the end of the week and documented... when stuff isn't arriving from the suppliers that quickly. Bah!

Oh, and I'm continuing to try to get everything ready for this weekend's Retro Computer Festival at home too.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm The vDrive sound boards have arrived at last. They spent 4 days in a DHL warehouse bouncing between "Processed" and "Hold" before moving on.

It's been manic at work this week as it's "0th Week" at Oxford University, meaning the week before the beginning of term but when students are starting to arrive. It's also the beginning of the academic year and also the powers that be have landed the task of rebuilding our A/V systems with only 3 weeks notice and expecting it all to be ready by the end of the week and documented... when stuff isn't arriving from the suppliers that quickly. Bah!

Oh, and I'm continuing to try to get everything ready for this weekend's Retro Computer Festival at home too.
How are you getting on with the vDrives? I plan on ordering one before the end of the year so any feedback would be great.

Oh god, that sounds like fun!! I know how you feel about the delays, as I'm in the process of troubleshooting an internal system and have been waiting for 2+ weeks to get some specific logs that will help me plan the next phase of troubleshooting, and only now are they telling me half the logs are missing!!

Good luck with the A/V project, hope you can get it done in time :)

Also looking forward to meeting you at the Retro Computer Festival now that I have my ticket for the 9th :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

vDrives work really well. If you have a QL then the vMap is invaluable so that you can make the vDrive to be both mdv1_ and mdv2_
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 pm vDrives work really well. If you have a QL then the vMap is invaluable so that you can make the vDrive to be both mdv1_ and mdv2_
Well then, I'm sold. I got a vLA81 from Charles and it's superb, so it seems like it's necessary for my QL :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@stephen_usher Out of curiosity, where did you get your vDrive QL from? Direct from Charlie's shop?

Just looking at the price direct and it's a little over £120 with shipping, so wondering if it can be had from a UK supplier.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:39 pm @stephen_usher Out of curiosity, where did you get your vDrive QL from? Direct from Charlie's shop?

Just looking at the price direct and it's a little over £120 with shipping, so wondering if it can be had from a UK supplier.
Yes, directly from Charlie, well, using the sellmyretro web store as Charlie didn't have a store a couple of years ago when I got mine.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:46 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:39 pm @stephen_usher Out of curiosity, where did you get your vDrive QL from? Direct from Charlie's shop?

Yes, directly from Charlie, well, using the sellmyretro web store as Charlie didn't have a store a couple of years ago when I got mine.
Cool, thanks, I got my vLA81 via SellMyRetro too, but he has a nice store now. Maybe for Christmas then! To be fair it's a complete kit with vDrive QL, case, vMap and cable, so it's a great price, I just can't justify buying one right now due to a number of other recent retro purchases!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, I managed to find time to make up one of the new vDrive sound boards and it works:

Unfortnately, (a) the Dupont connectors are too tall so I'm going to have to remove them and solder the wires directly, and (b) the double sided sicky tape I have is about as strong as a gentle breaze on a calm day so it won't even hold the speaker onto the plastic case if everything's laying flat.

The speakers I got are a bit on the weedy side too.

Anyway, at least the electronics are OK.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”