General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm

Yeah, I ordered the QL minerva ROM from eBay Germany and it turned out I was already chatting with the seller on the QL forum!!

Does the Overdrive run at 33Mhz bus speed?

It's been a while since I played with one, and the 486 I have is already a DX2/66, so I can't remember how they did it all.
Yeah, the Intel DX2's are 5V and the 66MHz part basically clock doubles internally.
:lol: I actually remembered it right :)

Is it a ZIF socket, or are you going to have to pry the old CPU out?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

A 486 66mhz DX2 was my first PC, it was pretty good for Quake :D
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:12 pm :lol: I actually remembered it right :)

It's gently pry it out with an electrical screwdriver time.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:23 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:12 pm :lol: I actually remembered it right :)

It's gently pry it out with an electrical screwdriver time.
I never liked those 'gotta pry it out' sockets :cussing:
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

They were the normal type until at least the Pentium era when you required coolers attached to the socket.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I couldn't get the machine to boot at all with the MRBIOS for some reason, but managed to get it to boot with the original BIOS eventually.

After a bit of toing and froing I managed to get the 486DX2-66 working. I had to straighten a few pins for a start.

I'm soak testing the M/B out of the case at the moment, using CheckIt running full memory tests.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Whatever the fault is it's getting worse. I can hardly ever get it to POST.

'Scoping the pins on the ROM, most of the time there is zero activity. When it doesn't start up the /CE pin either goes constantly low or constantly high with small glitches and there's no activity on any of the other pins. Sometimes there will be a small amount of activity for a second or two and then nothing. After repeated resets it will suddenly spring to life and behave normally.

Once the machine is booted it stable, which suggests the reset circuit. I wish I knew where it was and what components it used.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Another strange thing I noticed last night was that the 486DX2-66 is actually running at a third of the speed of 486DX-33 for some reason. :-/
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:47 am Another strange thing I noticed last night was that the 486DX2-66 is actually running at a third of the speed of 486DX-33 for some reason. :-/
This one is certainly giving you the run around!!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah. I'm not sure that it's worth much more work unfortunately as it seems to be degrading with every minute of run time.

I could replace all the jelly bean tantalums on the board and hope that it fixes things but there's no guarantee. If it is a tant then I just wish it'd die in a blaze of glory and get it over with.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”