General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by stephen_usher »

It looks like my C64's colour bands are a rare issue.

I've seen one thread on another board which got nowhere and rapidly got off topic talking about drag soldering and oscilloscopes and debated loads of different luma fixes and the US postal service. (It also had people misreading and talking about NTSC, and the original was a PAL machine.)

*sigh*
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:39 am It looks like my C64's colour bands are a rare issue.

I've seen one thread on another board which got nowhere and rapidly got off topic talking about drag soldering and oscilloscopes and debated loads of different luma fixes and the US postal service. (It also had people misreading and talking about NTSC, and the original was a PAL machine.)

*sigh*
Oh, how annoying. So no relevant info at all? I presume it's a breadbin and not a C?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It started relevant, as in the though was that the colour clock was way off but then the thread got hijacked.

It's an early(ish) breadbin, manufactured around June '83.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Seeing as the Sony Mac to VGA (it specifies Sony display, not VGA :lol: ) adapter arrived this week I pulled the LCII out of storage to test the display.

IMG_2661.jpg
IMG_2661.jpg (239.79 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

Outputting through the OSSC gives a beautiful picture on the telly. (The direct VGA input, however, is washed out and fuzzy, but then again that's the same with a PC.)

Anyway, now this test is complete I can extract the battery and safely pack it away for storage. Other than being slightly slow (about the same speed as an SE/30 for everything but the display, which is slower) and can only do 640x480 with 256 colours it's a nice little machine.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Bother! The S-Video cable for the C64 still hasn't arrived. Posted last Thursday apparently.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Another bother!

Why can't RS Components tell you when you order that the stock is not in the UK and instead in one of their European warehouses?

It turns "Next working day delivery" into "Next working week delivery." and there's no warning before or after purchase, only after dispatch you have "multi-courier delivery". Surely advertising "Next working day delivery" and not actually being able to do so at time of purchase breaks the sale of goods act and distance selling laws?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:02 pm Another bother!

Why can't RS Components tell you when you order that the stock is not in the UK and instead in one of their European warehouses?

It turns "Next working day delivery" into "Next working week delivery." and there's no warning before or after purchase, only after dispatch you have "multi-courier delivery". Surely advertising "Next working day delivery" and not actually being able to do so at time of purchase breaks the sale of goods act and distance selling laws?
How very annoying!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, at least the C64 s-video cable arrived, so I'll be able to find out if my TV accepts S-Video on SCART.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:58 pm Well, at least the C64 s-video cable arrived, so I'll be able to find out if my TV accepts S-Video on SCART.
:girldance: :girldance: :girldance:

Look forward to seeing what results you get :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I do hate mail order. I've got so many things outstanding now which I can only hope will arrive by the end of the week before I go away for a fortnight.

One item I had no control over the sending of as it was a warranty repair of something costing about £500. It's now just being returned... well the return was scheduled on Monday, but the courier (Parcels 2 Go) wasn't contracted until yesterday. The "tracking" web page is saying that it might have been picked up today, or it might be tomorrow but the page won't be updated for 24 hours... in which case they could be trying to deliver by then. The painful part is that they are going to try to deliver to my home, and I won't be in. So it's touch and go whether they will even attempt to deliver before Saturday. If they miss that window of opportunity they'll either leave it somewhere where it will be ruined or stolen or it will bounce back to the vendor! Stressful. I wish they'd used Parcel Force as they did with the returns label.

Still, it looks like the capacitors may have made it across the channel.

P.S. Or maybe they haven't.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”