General Stuff(tm)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: General Stuff(tm)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ahh boo, I should have read this one first.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Got fed up with the right-mouse button mostly being "on" one the TT keyboard so I've just replaced the pull-up matrix resistor. I didn't have a 6-way 10K resistor pack so used an 8 way 4.7K one and snipped off two of the pins.

Seems to be working fine now. *crosses fingers*
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:07 pm Got fed up with the right-mouse button mostly being "on" one the TT keyboard so I've just replaced the pull-up matrix resistor. I didn't have a 6-way 10K resistor pack so used an 8 way 4.7K one and snipped off two of the pins.

Seems to be working fine now. *crosses fingers*
:girldance:
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, what fun I'm having with couriers.

The expensive (~£500) model railway train which was coming back from the manufacturer after a warranty replacement was sent via Parcel2Go, which is actually a front end for other couriers. The courier tried to deliver during the day yesterday but I was at work and (s)he didn't leave a card, so I can't contact the courier direct or pick up from their distribution hub.

I managed to contact Parcel2Go (who make it almost impossible for the deliveree to get help) and talk to an on-line person. They said that they couldn't redirect the parcel, only the sender could do that.

Can you guess what the reason they gave for not redirecting the parcel was?

Was it that it could be fraudulent? Nope.
Was it that it could be an attempt at theft? Nope.
Was it anything else which may endanger the safety of the parcel? Nope.

"Sorry, only the sender of the parcel can change the delivery address due to GDPR."

This is utter bovine excrement.
  • The only personal information involved is my address and they have explicit permission to process the data to enable them to deliver the parcel.
  • Any address I give to them has explicit permission for them to process the data for the reason of delivering the parcel.
  • The sender's details are not required and hence that data is not required to be processed. Not only this but the sender is a company and hence it is not personal information and hence not covered by the GDPR.
So, if you are a company and value your customers please avoid Parcel2Go
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 am Well, what fun I'm having with couriers.

The expensive (~£500) model railway train which was coming back from the manufacturer after a warranty replacement was sent via Parcel2Go, which is actually a front end for other couriers. The courier tried to deliver during the day yesterday but I was at work and (s)he didn't leave a card, so I can't contact the courier direct or pick up from their distribution hub.

I managed to contact Parcel2Go (who make it almost impossible for the deliveree to get help) and talk to an on-line person. They said that they couldn't redirect the parcel, only the sender could do that.

Can you guess what the reason they gave for not redirecting the parcel was?

Was it that it could be fraudulent? Nope.
Was it that it could be an attempt at theft? Nope.
Was it anything else which may endanger the safety of the parcel? Nope.

"Sorry, only the sender of the parcel can change the delivery address due to GDPR."

This is utter bovine excrement.
  • The only personal information involved is my address and they have explicit permission to process the data to enable them to deliver the parcel.
  • Any address I give to them has explicit permission for them to process the data for the reason of delivering the parcel.
  • The sender's details are not required and hence that data is not required to be processed. Not only this but the sender is a company and hence it is not personal information and hence not covered by the GDPR.
So, if you are a company and value your customers please avoid Parcel2Go
This sort of behaviour is becoming more and more commonplace. What kind of courier a) doesn't card you for a missed delivery b) can't arrange for a redelivery on a day of your choosing.

Customer service just ins't a thing anymore and none of these courier services seem to give a monkeys if you get your parcel or not. I mean take Hermes, rebranding so they can slip the noose of poor service.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Wasn't that previously, "White Arrow", "Home Delivery Network" and "Blue Arrow"? It brands about twice a decade.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Uh-oh!

The parcel I was trying to get redirected as I'm not at home has been "delivered", even though I'm ~300 miles away.

This doesn't sound good.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:01 pm Wasn't that previously, "White Arrow", "Home Delivery Network" and "Blue Arrow"? It brands about twice a decade.
I wouldn't be surprised!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:44 pm Uh-oh!

The parcel I was trying to get redirected as I'm not at home has been "delivered", even though I'm ~300 miles away.

This doesn't sound good.
Uh oh!!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I managed to get the proper ParcelFarce tracking number from the vendor. Apparently it's been delivered to a neighbour. *crosses fingers*

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”