Anybody having problems getting petrol?

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anybody having problems getting petrol?

Post by rubber_jonnie »

We're starting to get petrol shortages here in the Colchester area, anybody else starting to see queuing and panic buying?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Badwolf

Re: Anybody having problems getting petrol?

Post by Badwolf »

I passed a petrol station a couple of times at lunchtime and that didn't appear to have any panic buyers, but I was sent a picture of cars queueing down the road for a Shell garage in Sutton (S London) at 8:30 this morning.

My electric motorscooter might only get me 25 miles with a following breeze, but it's looking a solid investment at the moment! :lol:

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Steve

Post by Steve »

The fricken news strikes again.... was on the news yesterday 'fuel shortages reported!' so we all said 'okay, now we will have panic buying' - TODAY news says "Please don't panic buy, government urges no panic buying'

It's bloody ridiculous. The news causes most problems they should be held accountable as far as I'm concerned...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

There are queues around here and it is in the news that BP having shortages.

You would think people would just "get over" all this panic buying BS by now. It is mostly just all dramatised by the media to generate them clicks and profit of course.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Steve wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:45 pm The news causes most problems they should be held accountable as far as I'm concerned...
I totally agree! The British Bullsh*t Corporation really needs to be shut down and done away with as they do more harm than good.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Yeah, our local station has closed now, all the pumps are shut, though they'll still sell you stuff like they were a corner shop!!

Luckily my car is pretty economical, but I still need to fill up tonight.

People are just dumb and have no concept of how much their panic buying can affect other folks.

Wife had to queue earlier for 30-40 minutes to fill up. She wasn't panic buying BTW, but did need to top up.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The news outlets' warnings of shortages are always self fulfilling prophecies because stupid people panic like Jonesy in Dad's Army. If they just kept calm where wouldn't be a shortage.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:36 pm The news outlets' warnings of shortages are always self fulfilling prophecies because stupid people panic like Jonesy in Dad's Army. If they just kept calm where wouldn't be a shortage.
I know, it drives me bloody mad :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”