Not good Microsoft, you've lost me now.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Steve

Re: Not good Microsoft, you've lost me now.

Post by Steve »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:12 pm
Steve wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm Same with Apple I'm afraid. Remember when Apple changed from PPC CPU's to Intel? You think they'd support the last PPC Mac with at least a couple of OS updates surely especially since it cost you 3 grand, no... The very next OS Snow Leopard supported absolutely zero PPC, discontinued the entire product line and support.

Microsoft is ironically has a much much much better track record than Apple... So I dare say you are swapping a devil for another devil. Your brand new M1 will be obsoleted in about one year.
I would beg to differ on all most all your statements. The M1 will not be obsolete next year. Its performance will make it a popular machine for years to come. Yes there will be more powerful machines but the M1 challenges most intel chips and has beyond great battery life.
Ok I used the wrong word, I meant 'discontinued' rather than 'obsoleted', your obsolete timeline for Apple is 5 years, discontinued 1-2 years. Other than that I don't know how you can beg to differ on the statements around PPC which are factually correct.

And to add context to MS having a better track record... how many years was XP the no1 used OS in the world? They were begging people to upgrade from XP finally for Windows 10 by offering the free upgrades. That is a very long time to support an OS. Almost twenty years. About 30 Apple product lines 'lived and died' in the time XP had its run.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Steve wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:07 pm
PaulJ wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:12 pm

I would beg to differ on all most all your statements. The M1 will not be obsolete next year. Its performance will make it a popular machine for years to come. Yes there will be more powerful machines but the M1 challenges most intel chips and has beyond great battery life.
Ok I used the wrong word, I meant 'discontinued' rather than 'obsoleted', your obsolete timeline for Apple is 5 years, discontinued 1-2 years. Other than that I don't know how you can beg to differ on the statements around PPC which are factually correct.

And to add context to MS having a better track record... how many years was XP the no1 used OS in the world? They were begging people to upgrade from XP finally for Windows 10 by offering the free upgrades. That is a very long time to support an OS. Almost twenty years. About 30 Apple product lines 'lived and died' in the time XP had its run.
Well Steve.. guess your whole argument just went down the sh#ter with windows 11. When hardware gets to be 10 years old its really time to load linux on it and call it a day. Check current apple support for their latest OS with Ms's latest offering.. Guess Apple wins going away on that topic.
Steve

Post by Steve »

No need to be like that, I'm just offering facts and observations. Giving credit where it is due. I don't use OSX or MS, I run Linux and don't have a horse in this race.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:22 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:56 pm

It's worse than that, the first generation Intel Macs had Core Duo processors (32 bit) and they dropped 32 bit kernel support in Lion, only 5 years after the machines were released and four years after the last direct sale.
Agreed, I'd forgotten that one, that was actually a pretty poor move on their part.
Indeed. That's why I won't touch an M1 system. Maybe wait until M2 or M3 generations.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:19 pm Indeed. That's why I won't touch an M1 system. Maybe wait until M2 or M3 generations.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D Although basing it on history that old is suspect as I see it. I don't believe anyone has an issue when it comes to purchasing something M1 or Mx based since it will share Apple's cpu archetecture with IOS and MacOS . The newest top tier iPads use the M1 or some derivative which worries me most. I really don't care to have a desktop iPad. However, the people that should be worried about Apple's trajectory are individuals that have Apple hardware which is Intel based. It's my observation that Apple appears to be focusing their efforts on their own silicon. The Mac mini M1 benchmarks extremely close to the Mac Pro 7,1 in tasks that don't require a ton of cores. It's my belief in a few years that you will be able to get an intel based Mac pretty cheap since most new Apple devices and products will contain Apple silicon of some sort. So in one sense you maybe right that that people who purchased an Intel based machine may see a shortened support life for those machines. But then look at windows 11... It won't be worse that what MS has done with windows 11.
pixelpusher

Post by pixelpusher »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:19 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:22 pm

Agreed, I'd forgotten that one, that was actually a pretty poor move on their part.
Indeed. That's why I won't touch an M1 system. Maybe wait until M2 or M3 generations.
As a rule of thumb it's certainly true that this often happens with first gen systems at Apple (esp. with architecture changes). The misjudgement here is to qualify the M1 as a first gen system - they did deliver arm based 64 bit systems for many years now (just not with the macOS API, or at least only a sub of it - iOS).
chue

Post by chue »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:31 pm But my point was being, if I want latest security updates, I need Windows 11, then I have to buy a whole new PC.. for what exactly ? Then continue to do so every two years or whatever. A lot of people simply cannot afford to change their hardware all the time.
I believe Windows 10 will be supported until October 2025. You will get security updates until then. I have no idea if Windows 10 will be getting new features going forward though.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I had no idea this topic would become so heated, it wasn't my intention and it isn't the way this forum works.

I am therefore locking it so it doesn't descend into chaos.

The forum rules are clear: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/app.php/rules

Please abide by them.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”