Not good Microsoft, you've lost me now.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Not good Microsoft, you've lost me now.

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

Intel gen 7 has beed discontinued over a year ago.
It is a little bit shit that late adopters will have only about 6 years out of it with official support.

Saying this I fully understand why MS don't want to support hardware which is discontinued by producers.
I would even discuss if it is Microsoft or Intel fault?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:25 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:17 pm I'm not saying that Apple are going to be any better, but I have 'done' MS since DOS, probably in the region of 30 years. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome. Time to try something else.
+1

I went from DOS,win 3.11,95,98,98SE,XP,7..

But even Ubuntu updates. I would move to that, but the same thing seems to happen anyway ? Though I would assume Ubuntu would run on *any* age hardware, but its new to me...
From what I've seen, Linux and it's derivatives can run across a much wider range of hardware, offering minimalised installs to cater for lowlier machines. MS is specifying exact CPUs you can and can't use, which I find worrying. Especially when other OSes are much more lenient about it.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

When it comes to Windows I personally would probably be still on 7. Browsers are still supported. I'd just make sure to run a very good firewall that gets updates and such. But yeah been 100% Manjaro Linux now for over two years without a hitch.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 pm I guess my point is, I have never been in this situation before with Windows. I have always been able to use the current version of Windows on my hardware, even if it has been 4 years old, and these specs seem to be edging out hardware that is really quite good.
Windows got more bloated and less efficient as time went on. Needs top of the range specs just to open a window these days. My theory is why they force latest hardware, is because otherwise windows would run really badly.. hmm... :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:33 pm Intel gen 7 has beed discontinued over a year ago.
It is a little bit shit that late adopters will have only about 6 years out of it with official support.

Saying this I fully understand why MS don't want to support hardware which is discontinued by producers.
I would even discuss if it is Microsoft or Intel fault?
Yes, I do agree. What is more galling is that MS DO support Core i7 for Win11, but it's the 7800 not the 7700 I have.

Apple ultimately may turn out to be just as bad, but from my position, I am preferring what they do with laptop OSes, so I'll go that way for a bit, see what happens.

If it's crap, I will have a rethink. Who knows, I might be going back to Windows this time next year, or even Linux (NOT!!)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:31 pm I guess my point is, I have never been in this situation before with Windows. I have always been able to use the current version of Windows on my hardware, even if it has been 4 years old, and these specs seem to be edging out hardware that is really quite good.
Windows got more bloated and less efficient as time went on. Needs top of the range specs just to open a window these days. My theory is why they force latest hardware, is because otherwise windows would run really badly.. hmm... :lol:
Yes, you might be right there.

Since Apple's walled garden approach of controlling both the hardware and software seems to work well, I have to try it.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm Since Apple's walled garden approach of controlling both the hardware and software seems to work well, I have to try it.
Louis Rossmann would not approve. He is really going after Apple bigtime :lol: Was saying the other day Apple when there was repairing boards was just sticking a bit of rubber on top of a IC to push it down on the board to make better contact rather than actually re-soldering it.. There is a bit of a rant about that :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Steve wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:46 pm When it comes to Windows I personally would probably be still on 7. Browsers are still supported. I'd just make sure to run a very good firewall that gets updates and such. But yeah been 100% Manjaro Linux now for over two years without a hitch.
Well, I can't disagree with that, I still have some Win 7 machines about and they are really quite good. The march of time and technology seems to be getting more frustrating, at some point you have to say enough and make a change.

Will it be the right change? Who knows, but you have to try!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Steve wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm Same with Apple I'm afraid. Remember when Apple changed from PPC CPU's to Intel? You think they'd support the last PPC Mac with at least a couple of OS updates surely especially since it cost you 3 grand, no... The very next OS Snow Leopard supported absolutely zero PPC, discontinued the entire product line and support.
It's worse than that, the first generation Intel Macs had Core Duo processors (32 bit) and they dropped 32 bit kernel support in Lion, only 5 years after the machines were released and four years after the last direct sale.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:52 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm Since Apple's walled garden approach of controlling both the hardware and software seems to work well, I have to try it.
Louis Rossmann would not approve. He is really going after Apple bigtime :lol: Was saying the other day Apple when there was repairing boards was just sticking a bit of rubber on top of a IC to push it down on the board to make better contact rather than actually re-soldering it.. There is a bit of a rant about that :lol:
I know, I've watched quite a few videos of his and don't disagree with what he's saying, and this is one of the points that I really don't like about Apple - Repairability.

They have no good argument for not allowing 3rd party repairs, but the same is happening with PC hardware too. And the whole thing of preventing suppliers from selling ICs and other components to repairers is outrageous, and their arguments for why are incredibly thin.

I mean that trick with the rubber is ridiculous!!

My feelings are that you should be able to open and repair/upgrade your device or take it to whoever can repair it. Apple's repair prices are way too high, especially as they are not always repaired by Apple!

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”