UK Postal problems

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
viking272

Re: UK Postal problems

Post by viking272 »

I once posted a cat5 cable to my Dad (in France) from England. The parcel was posted in a regular post box at 5pm Friday and my Dad phoned me at 11am Saturday morning to say thanks, it arrived fine. :o
In 15 years it's never happened again! :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

viking272 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:18 pm I once posted a cat5 cable to my Dad (in France) from England. The parcel was posted in a regular post box at 5pm Friday and my Dad phoned me at 11am Saturday morning to say thanks, it arrived fine. :o
In 15 years it's never happened again! :lol:
We're getting post once a week it seems like, I can't believe you got something to France that quick!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mikro

Post by mikro »

UK -> Slovakia: 10 days. Left UK after 5 days. So pretty standard shipping rate here.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

I think issues are regional. Mainly with last step of delivery, as a lot of postman are currently isolating.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:01 am I think issues are regional. Mainly with last step of delivery, as a lot of postman are currently isolating.
It is unfortunately the case that some are isolating, it's causing a lot of frustration in our area, and by that I mean the larger borough we live in, not just me.

I guess all we can do is ride it out.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am
arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:01 am I think issues are regional. Mainly with last step of delivery, as a lot of postman are currently isolating.
It is unfortunately the case that some are isolating, it's causing a lot of frustration in our area, and by that I mean the larger borough we live in, not just me.

Few days ago new rules were introduced on isolation and quarantine, so hopefully we will see improvements in services soon.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:54 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:34 am

Few days ago new rules were introduced on isolation and quarantine, so hopefully we will see improvements in services soon.
Fingers crossed. All my parts for repairs finally arrived yesterday, so I'm good now :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

It seems that things have come to a head in our local area.

There was a report in the last couple of days that the posties have walked out due to the conditions they are facing, one being lack of staff and the inability to get agency staff for cover. It seems there are also a number of staff off sick due to illness/injury.

So I hope they can resolve things and you have to feel for them when they have to walk out to have their voices heard :(
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Just as an example of the sort of delays caused by the ongoing postal strikes, I received 3 items yesterday that had been delayed by about 2 weeks, one of the items was an important, though luckily not time sensitive, letter.

I suspect these delays are variable depending on how the local postal services are handling things, but not great for people who are waiting on hospital appointments etc.
Steve

Post by Steve »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:21 am Just as an example of the sort of delays caused by the ongoing postal strikes, I received 3 items yesterday that had been delayed by about 2 weeks, one of the items was an important, though luckily not time sensitive, letter.

I suspect these delays are variable depending on how the local postal services are handling things, but not great for people who are waiting on hospital appointments etc.
If I've had to order anything lately (on ebay mainly for xmas presents etc) I've been messaging the seller to ask if the postage can be upgraded to special delivery, which is usually only a few pounds more, and offer to pay the difference. Three times now each seller has upgraded me for free and wished me a merry xmas, quite happy about humanity at the moment :) But yeah, the moral is, if you don't ask you don't get :D

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”