Brett's STE - Repair thread

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: Brett's STE - Repair thread

Post by stephen_usher »

:lol:
Surely you only get gremlins if you feed them after midnight?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 am :lol:
Surely you only get gremlins if you feed them after midnight?
Maybe that was why it still wasn't working :)

Or did I mean pixels....

I'm so confused....
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

derkom wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:57 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 pm I'm feeling like a minor celebration. I traced A1 and found that it should be connected to pin 2 of the DMA. Only it wasn't, so I hooked it up and I now get this:
Would be interesting (and possibly educational) to know where exactly the track broke. Have you narrowed that down yet?
Ok, so the track is good along the bottom of the board from the DMA. It is then good through the via to the top of the board. Where it comes out is shown by the red circle.

DMA_Track_A1.jpg
DMA_Track_A1.jpg (422.13 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

The red arrow indicates a spot just before the ROM sockets where I removed the solder mask in order to buzz it out, and it is good up to that point. The damage is therefore likely to be the trace that was originally damaged at the ROM socket, so pin 12 of the HI ROM socket.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

Great progress!

I had a similar output the other day that turned out to be a couple of shorted address lines.
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 pm Clearly some work left to be done, but the little red led on my diag cart which shows ROM access is now flickering, a good indicator that ROM access is at least being tried. It was completely dead up until now.
Don't forget the diag cart also talks over serial!

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Badwolf wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:43 pm Great progress!

I had a similar output the other day that turned out to be a couple of shorted address lines.
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 pm Clearly some work left to be done, but the little red led on my diag cart which shows ROM access is now flickering, a good indicator that ROM access is at least being tried. It was completely dead up until now.
Don't forget the diag cart also talks over serial!

BW
Yep, going to hook up to my HP Jornada over serial later, see if it gives me anything :)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'm waiting for the next episode... :-) Did you get any time to look at the machine last night?
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:13 am I'm waiting for the next episode... :-) Did you get any time to look at the machine last night?
Sadly no time yesterday, and today is unlikely too, we've had some family stuff going on that has been a bit of a diversion, so my repair time has been limited.

I did try both diag carts, but still nothing. I need to hook up my 2nd bench PSU before I try the serial port though as I think the serial ICs need 12v. I'll see if I can at least do that. I had done it initially but got nothing.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Fair enough. I hope that the family stuff gets sorted soon.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:50 am Fair enough. I hope that the family stuff gets sorted soon.
Cheers, me too!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Just a thought.. When you say your limiting the amps, do you mean you have the psu set to limit at say 2.5amps, or have you limited the amps the STE is trying to pull ?

It is dependent on voltage and other things, but a machine doesn't always pull the same amount as another. So if the machine is trying to pull 2 Amps, and your limiting to 1.8amps, then it will add to your troubles.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”