South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Latest Atari related news.
mrbombermillzy

South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Ok, well, here goes nothing...

After suggesting it and having some possible interest, I will take the leap and offer to host a Retro computer event in Hythe, SO45 area in the New Forest (just East of Southampton). As a rough outline, I'm thinking any 'computer' pre- 1995 or related is welcome and all retro computer lovers! :D

I'm looking at 7.30-11.30 with exhibitors coming in at 7pm to set up. Possibly in September to give everyone enough time to plan the trip.

Details to be ironed out in the meantime, but all I need initially is a numbers count/info, so if people can just post:

'Exhibitor' (if you intend to bring some hard/software to display or perhaps do a tech talk/demos, etc)

or

'non exhibitor' (if you are just turning up to hopefully enjoy the show)

and then I need what day would be best to attend, so if you could also put: 'Friday', 'Saturday' or 'Either' that would be great.

(Obviously you can ask questions/make comments, but mainly I need to keep tabs on the data.)

If there's a Fri/Sat that you cant do that month and you would be devastated to miss the show, let me know ASAP too, so we can maybe work around it.

As mentioned in the other thread (for those who read it; I will repeat here anyway) the location would be Hythe Parish Hall SO45 6AA.

There is a small ~8 car car park on site and a larger 100+ car 500 yards away.
The hall sits adjacent to a large park, so ideal for stretching your legs after a long drive! ;)

There is also (in 5 mins walking distance) several amenities/shops including:

* Domino/Roccos Pizza
* 2x chip shops
* Indian/Thai/Chinese
* Foot ferry to Southampton (10 mins walk and you are in City Center)
* Petrol station (Trying to think of every eventuality here!)

There's forest walks and a beach within 10-15 mins drive too. Would be great to plan some other activities too if you can stay for a while (hence the above info).

The town is small, quiet and quite a nice place to be visiting all in all.

Seeing as its quite a hike for some folks, I'm also happy to foot the bill for the hire of the hall, deal with all the setup logistics and, well, I can even have a fair crack at running the whole show myself, but would absolutely love some support with other exhibitors/talks etc. :D

Well, that's if for now. I really hope you will be interested. It would be a great chance to put a face to that name and see some cool gear in action, learn something, have some good conversation and perhaps take some extra time here to unwind in pleasant surroundings and chill out by the beach or forest.

It could do you the world of good! :D

I'm going to leave this open till the ***** END OF JUNE *****, after which I will weigh up the interested parties details and decide/book the hall.

If you feel I have forgotten any details, feel free to contact me here or PM if you prefer.

**** Admin/mods: Could you PLEASE sticky this and allow editing of this first post if possible too? TIA ****

Badwolf

Re: South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Post by Badwolf »

Hi @mrbombermillzy,

Whilst I have to say I like the idea, I'm afraid, as always, committing to anything like this is hard.

I generally only find out when stars would align (no prior engagements, car available or trains not fscked etc) a few weeks in advance at best and if the car's not being used by the missus for work she might have other plans in mind at shorter notice than that ("I haven't seen you all week and now you're buggering off!" etc.)!

For example, I've been to one old school dinner in the last six years having hoped to go to all of them!

I suppose what I'm saying is anything therefore like this would tend to be a last minute thing for me & presume a lot of the rest of us are equally as elderly and put upon and thefore in the same boat!

So don't be disheartened if you hear a lot of 'it's a great idea', but then only three commit.

If you don't get enough takers, maybe try to find someone not far from you and just aim to meet in the pub? Do it a couple of times a year and see if it grows?

Fingers crossed,

BW.
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@Badwolf I completely get it/agree. I had to choose the particular venue location as I have two small children and the same sort of commitments as you describe. I would probably struggle to make it across the country for something like this, so I understand that others will have this situation also imposed on them.

With that in mind however, I was actually trying to showcase the picturesque surroundings with the angle of being able to convince the other half into coming (which is half the battle sometimes, eh? ;) ) and having maybe a mini holiday weekend or whatever.

But, yeah, I certainly won't be offended if people cannot make it.

I will likely go ahead anyway (as you have to start somewhere, I guess), but would really love some backup from some of you guys, or I will have to run the whole show on my own. :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Sorry, whilst I like the idea, the practicalities of it all are all a bit trickier, so much in the same boat as @Badwolf.

Plus at the moment, with the way both our sets of parents are, we need to allow for emergencies with them and it makes things a tad more difficult.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@rubber_jonnie Honestly, don't worry. :)

I have anticipated this sort of situation. However, if a few people can get here, well, it's a start.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:31 pm @rubber_jonnie Honestly, don't worry. :)

I have anticipated this sort of situation. However, if a few people can get here, well, it's a start.
I wish you good luck with it, be nice to have some retro events on the go.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
viking272

Post by viking272 »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:09 pm Ok, well, here goes nothing...

After suggesting it and having some possible interest, I will take the leap and offer to host a Retro computer event in Hythe, SO45 area in the New Forest (just East of Southampton). As a rough outline, I'm thinking any 'computer' pre- 1995 or related is welcome and all retro computer lovers! :D
@mrbombermillzy
sorry just seen this. Sounds like a great idea and thanks for putting the wheels in motion plus offering to pay for the hall hire.

I think the first two w/e's in Sept aren't so great. Last two weekends def are OK.
Sat is best for me but Fri could work.

Hopefully the uptake will improve but what sort of numbers would make it viable? By viable I mean enough to have some fun?
5-10? Obviously more the merrier.

I'm near Reading and would drive down and probably drive back after.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@viking272

That's great news! I'm expecting Saturday to be the day, but wanted to check with everyone, as both are good for me.

Also, I'm sure it's going to be ok to do the last weeks in September. (That's why I've posted this in good time. Plenty of options and time to work things out if there's any clashes/problems.)

With regards to making it 'fun'... to be honest, I will change it around depending on how many come. Basically if we can get 5 or more people in (exhibiting would be nice), then, for a first try, I guess that's a good result, as I can personally get on and do more features/exhibits/etc.

I mean, I have a projector (I think the hall already has one anyway, so we can show demos/presentations/slides for talks), as well as several retro machines and some peripherals that are pretty unique/unusual. But like you say, the more the merrier, as some support would be great! :)

Did you want to exhibit, or just attend?
viking272

Post by viking272 »

Can I say attend and I will see what I can exhibit. I have put away my Atari's for the moment and need to run some repairs.
But would be nice to get the Falcon, CT63 and CTPCI/Radeon card running!
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Ok. Sounds promising. Let me know how you get on with the repairs. :D

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”