South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Latest Atari related news.
JezC

Re: South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Post by JezC »

Like may of the others, love the idea...but not yet sure that I can make it (plus it's a long trek from the north east coast between Brid & "Scarbados")

Will see what I can do & keep you posted. I was also very interested in the options for a venue around Coventry that Steve proposed a while back but fully understand all the problems in organising these things.
mgi

Post by mgi »

I will definitely pop in! Sounds like a great idea.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@JezC Would be really great if you could make it. Do keep me posted.

Yeah, I too was gutted when @Steves 'Exxoscon' failed to materialize.

And I know it's not on your doorstep, hence trying to make staying over a pleasant option, by the location choice.

However, I think I just need to plough on ahead, come what may and do it.

If I can get some positive exhibitor response this next month or so, I can really look into planning some of the events/features with more focus.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

mgi wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:12 am I will definitely pop in! Sounds like a great idea.
Thats great news! Will you be coming to spectate or would you like to exhibit too?
mgi

Post by mgi »

Spectate :)
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

mgi wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:23 amSpectate :)
Cool. Well, I will keep you posted as the details progress on this thread. :thumbup:
viking272

Post by viking272 »

mgi wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:23 amSpectate :)
Nice, what's your main interests and whereabouts are you based?
cdpjenkins

Post by cdpjenkins »

I'd potentially be interested. Currently based in Didcot but previously lived in Southampton / Totton for a number of years and very happy to return to my old neck of the woods. I don't have any working Atari hardware, alas, and I've only recently rediscovered the Atari world so I'd probably be a spectator. Main interests are Freemint and Aranym, both of which I wish I'd discovered years ago.
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

@cdpjenkins Hi there! It would be great to see you at the event. Could you possibly stay with family in the area (if you have any there) to save the long journey?
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

Ok, so after a bit of thought, maybe some ideas to focus on about what will be going on.

With help from @viking272 I'm sure we can reach our target here.

I can personally pull off ALL of the below ideas with some special bits and bobs that I've managed to collect over the 38 years of retro computer collecting. (Although they were new back then :lol: ) BUT would really, really, REALLY appreciate some help to lighten the burden.

So here goes with the general plan:

South Coast Retro Computer Event Called '8 to 32 bits' or 'Byte to Longword' Saturday ?24th? September 2022 (Any cool/better name suggestions welcome! Maybe you could win a prize or something for the best one? :D Naming is not really my forte, as you can tell.)

Ideas:

* Buy and sell corner

Forget all the hassle of Ebay and gambling with the couriers. Buy and sell directly at the show! You can see exactly what the item is like, physically and there's even the chance to test before you buy. If you have any old retro computers/peripherals or software that you don't use, or just want to get rid of, bring it over. Chances are, there are people there who may want what you have. Or perhaps just come and see what's for sale.

* C64 40th Birthday

Seeing as it's the birthday of the 'Best selling computer of all time', there will be a special stand of C64 stuff; rare peripherals, technically shocking demoscene disks and of course, some tunes courtesy of the legendary SID. Even big brother C128 may make an appearance as a supporting act.

* Rare/Unique C= and Atari peripherals

Come and see what may be if not rare, completely one off peripherals/cards/items for the Atari and Commodore machines; some not even making it onto the big YT retro guys videos/collections! :o

* Maxed out beast machines

And of course, no show would be complete without an overclocked maxxed out machine showing some fast impressive stuff on the screen.

* Talks/Demonstrations

With full projector and P.A. facilities, there can be all kinds of talks and demonstrations. From tech to pure fun.

* Games corner

Chill out (or get het up!) by playing a selection of classic games on various machines. Perhaps even be one of the first to see some 'in development' games!

* Other machines

Of course, its not only C= / Atari there. Representations from other manufacturers will be there (i.e. Sinclair/Acorn/etc)

*******************************************************************************************************************************

Anyway, that's about the jist of it. If anyone has any ideas, or recommendations, then I'm happy to consider them.

More updates as and when.

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”