South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Latest Atari related news.
viking272

Re: South coast retro computer event...any interest??

Post by viking272 »

Steve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:15 pm I'd love to come and will try and book the Saturday off work to do it.
That will be awesome Steve. I see we have a date now so something to work towards! :)
Badwolf

Post by Badwolf »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:54 pm Have now phoned and I have reserved the hall for the 24th Sept.

The best I can do for that particular day is 2pm-1130pm. Would this be ok?
Great work @mrbombermillzy

I've stuck it in the calendar but likely won't know for sure until a couple of weeks prior. Fingers crossed!

I'd likely only do 2-7pm or something, but a better schedule IMO. :)

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:54 pm Great stuff @Steve and @PhilC. Would love to see you there if you can make it. Let me know please. :)

So..

Have now phoned and I have reserved the hall for the 24th Sept.

I have tried to extend the hours to give flexibility for people who want to turn up earlier and not have to travel back late.

The best I can do for that particular day is 2pm-1130pm. Would this be ok?

If this time window is too tight for anyone PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP and I can change the day before its too late. (Next few days or so would be great, as I have to make a move soon to avoid losing the slot to some other function) Thanks.
@mrbombermillzy - 24th Sept is locked in for me.

@rubber_jonnie, @stephen_usher, @SophieRose - would be good to see you at this event like the one in Cambridge. :)
mgi

Post by mgi »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:54 pm Have now phoned and I have reserved the hall for the 24th Sept.
Works for me!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It's in the diary.

I could bring some stuff, probably not a lot of machines, possibly a couple. Any requests?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:39 pm
@mrbombermillzy - 24th Sept is locked in for me.

@rubber_jonnie, @stephen_usher, @SophieRose - would be good to see you at this event like the one in Cambridge. :)
Sadly @Icky it's a bit far for me and other practicalities mean I won't be there.

:(

Maybe next year ;)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think I'd bring my super-doopa TT ... and maybe an SGI

@mrbombermillzy sorry if I missed it (too lazy to read all the thread) Can we do trades/sales too?
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 am Sadly @Icky it's a bit far for me and other practicalities mean I won't be there.

Maybe next year ;)
Would have been good to catch up. Another time. :(
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:27 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 am Sadly @Icky it's a bit far for me and other practicalities mean I won't be there.

Maybe next year ;)
Would have been good to catch up. Another time. :(
Yeah, it'd be good to see some actual people 😁
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy »

This is great...it's all starting to gain momentum now! :D

I'm trying to keep up, in the small amount of spare time I get at the weekend, but will do my best.

Ok, to answer questions:

@stephen_usher: you are welcome to bring any machine(s) you like. The more spread out the range of machines at the event, the better, I guess?

@Steve: Yep. Definitely. I hear there's already some bring and swap type stuff going on already and to quote myself:

"* Buy and sell corner

Forget all the hassle of Ebay and gambling with the couriers. Buy and sell directly at the show! You can see exactly what the item is like, physically and there's even the chance to test before you buy. If you have any old retro computers/peripherals or software that you don't use, or just want to get rid of, bring it over. Chances are, there are people there who may want what you have. Or perhaps just come and see what's for sale.
"

I'm sure I will have some bits and bobs I will bring to sell too, so go for it.

Moving on, while I'm thinking of it, if anyone wants to do a talk/captive demonstration, then I suggest putting forward (perhaps PM me or on here is ok) your talk/demo idea subject and duration estimate and finally what sort of 'window' you will be at the show for to do the talk/demo and then we can maybe adjust when we can find out attendance times, to get the biggest captive audience for you. Hope this makes sense?

I know I may be jumping the gun a bit, but if I can get the logistics of this ready early, then we are in a better position to get maximum exposure for you.

Obviously, if there's only a handful, we can pretty much do it 'freestyle'. It really depends on how many people intend to do this, so please let me know your plans when you can. Many thanks. :D

Next...

Food has been mentioned. I was sure people could pop out to the main street and get themselves whatever they want there, but I am looking into kitchen facilities for those who want to stay put. Unfortunately, being council run, they are now shut until Monday, so we will have to see how this matter pans out later.

Let me know if there's anything I haven't thought of and I will try to look into it ASAP.

Return to “NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS”