MegaSTE repair

Problems with your machine in general.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MegaSTE repair

Post by rubber_jonnie »

atari030 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:35 pm I should learn not to stuff around with things. She's all recapped, so I decided to drop a socket in for the Ym2149 in case that was causing some of the problems. Back to white screen....... Yes, I broke the golden rule. Do one thing at a time and test as you go.

So I'm ordering the diag cart before I get ahead of myself.
Yep, one thing at a time is the best way, it's the way I have to do my job. Otherwise how will you know if you fixed it? Bet you can't wait to get that cart :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
atari030

Post by atari030 »

My day job is designing, building, testing and repairing servers. After 25 years at it you'd think I know better. In saying that, a million dollar server cluster isn't as exciting as a MegaSTE.

Lucky the motherboard pics are online so I could double check a broken trace. Its deliberate for a bodge wire.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

My mega ste is held together with patches wires and repairs. And 1kg of new solder And duck tape

Tom
atari030

Post by atari030 »

Awesome. There is an proud old Kiwi tradition of using bailing twine and fencing wire to fix everything. :lol:

Diag cart ordered, now time to wait....... patience is not my thing.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

It's my Mega ST that's held together with parcel tape and string, came to me Blitter-less, missing the sound chip and barely booting. My MSTE is practically perfect 😁
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
atari030

Post by atari030 »

Most of my machines are mickey mouse, I got a Falcon for $50au that was a basket case, for spares. Fixed it, rock solid ever since. My CT2 Falcon is the painful one. Compatibility isn't great and it irks me. I have 2 or 3 or 4 FM's, 2 E's, 2 MegaSTE's, 2 Mega ST's, 2 Falcons, a 520STM and a TT030. 2 800XL's, 2 130XEs, a 600XL and an XEGS. Portfolio, Lynx, Jaguar and 4 2600s. Atari has been my heroine for three and a bit decades. :?
The Commodores are just a side thing, but interesting. :-)
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

I want to add a Atari pc1 to my collection. I seam to by lots of stuff label dead or parts online to find out they are in good condition.

Tom
atari030

Post by atari030 »

So.... waiting for the diag cart to get out of Sydney.... I decide to do some work on my MegaST2. Simple enough, fix the battery and mess with the ROMs, see if I can get a six chip KAOS or 1.04 working.... Nearly, it bombs with six chips installed. I'll wait for the cart to arrive then check over that again, meanwhile back to two chip 1.02. I must confess to a soft spot for 1.02. I've always considered it the best OS for gaming on the Pre E's anyway.

I thought I'd check out a spare MegaSTE keyboard too, like my other one and the TT the mylar are pretty knackered. I'll fix that one day. Meanwhile the mouse is drifting everywhere so I strip the keyboard and get into it, buzz out the port, resolder etc, etc. Even wired in a new socket on the off chance. It refuses to work, try another mouse, same deal, and another... back over it, recheck, it should be working???

Grab another (fourth) mouse and its working fine. Ahhhhhhh. :cry:

Moral of the story don't assume any mice in your mice box have good cables. :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

atari030 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:58 pm So.... waiting for the diag cart to get out of Sydney.... I decide to do some work on my MegaST2. Simple enough, fix the battery and mess with the ROMs, see if I can get a six chip KAOS or 1.04 working.... Nearly, it bombs with six chips installed. I'll wait for the cart to arrive then check over that again, meanwhile back to two chip 1.02. I must confess to a soft spot for 1.02. I've always considered it the best OS for gaming on the Pre E's anyway.

I thought I'd check out a spare MegaSTE keyboard too, like my other one and the TT the mylar are pretty knackered. I'll fix that one day. Meanwhile the mouse is drifting everywhere so I strip the keyboard and get into it, buzz out the port, resolder etc, etc. Even wired in a new socket on the off chance. It refuses to work, try another mouse, same deal, and another... back over it, recheck, it should be working???

Grab another (fourth) mouse and its working fine. Ahhhhhhh. :cry:

Moral of the story don't assume any mice in your mice box have good cables. :roll:
I presume you changed the jumpers for 6 chip operation? Jumper positions for 2-6 chip are here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... &hilit=rom
atari030

Post by atari030 »

Yeah mate, I installed pins and jumpers and socketed the 74LS11. It spat out bus errors randomly after that, I tried three sets of ROM's. Removing the IC was hard yakka, plenty of ground and solder on both layers.

I'm more disappointed in myself for not checking my mice first. :-) At least the KB now has a fresh flow of solder. :mrgreen:

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”