Falcon sound problems (DSP)

Problems with your machine in general.
kohli79

Re: Falcon sound problems (DSP)

Post by kohli79 »

The board has been back since Tuesday. The SDMA has been changed and the Falcon is running but the problems are still the same as before. I tried again with cold spray but that no longer has any effect. With the old SDMA the problems have disappeared. After the cold start, the Falcon runs maybe 10-20 seconds without errors, then it starts again and the bar turns red from the test program. I'm at a loss and don't feel like it anymore ... :x
Life is too short not to have an Amiga/Atari. 8-)
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'm sorry I have no more ideas, I think earlier it was mentioned it could be the DSP S-RAM, are they getting very hot? Also is your Crystal audio dac socketed, can you take it out and clean the socket?
kohli79

Post by kohli79 »

Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm I'm sorry I have no more ideas, I think earlier it was mentioned it could be the DSP S-RAM, are they getting very hot? Also is your Crystal audio dac socketed, can you take it out and clean the socket?
No problem, thanks anyway for the information! 👍
Yes, the DAC was out and everything looked good so far! The pins were clean.
The DSP Ram only gets slightly warm, it doesn't get hot!
Steve

Post by Steve »

kohli79 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm
Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm I'm sorry I have no more ideas, I think earlier it was mentioned it could be the DSP S-RAM, are they getting very hot? Also is your Crystal audio dac socketed, can you take it out and clean the socket?
I remember Exxos spoke about the audio amplifier chips earlier, if it was just the right channel then perhaps that particular chip needs replacing. I don't personally know which chip that is perhaps someone can chime in.
kohli79

Post by kohli79 »

Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:05 pm
kohli79 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:56 pm

I remember Exxos spoke about the audio amplifier chips earlier, if it was just the right channel then perhaps that particular chip needs replacing. I don't personally know which chip that is perhaps someone can chime in.
OK could be...
A new abnormality is that it simply hangs up after 5-10 minutes in operation. Even if you are only on the desktop and do nothing. 2 bombs and that's it, even if I pull out the CF card and start without it. After pressing the reset button, only graphic salad appears on the LCD. If I turn it off at the main switch and then turn it on again, it will run for a while. Sorry if I say that, but this anomaly was only after the clock patch was installed. It doesn't matter if the delay is on or off.
I think the Falcon is ready for the ton! :comp:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hmm yes... could end up as a bottomless money pit for you at this rate. You could sell it to re-gain some money, perhaps someone with repair skills may buy it from you. It makes me wonder when you bought it? Surely the previous owner must have known of its fault. There would practically be no falcon owners who haven't tried playing back DSP sound.
kohli79

Post by kohli79 »

Steve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:36 pm Hmm yes... could end up as a bottomless money pit for you at this rate. You could sell it to re-gain some money, perhaps someone with repair skills may buy it from you. It makes me wonder when you bought it? Surely the previous owner must have known of its fault. There would practically be no falcon owners who haven't tried playing back DSP sound.
Yes, I don't want to sink even more money, or just swap everything at the risk of luck.
Let's have a look, or keep it as a spare part dispenser. I think I bought it in January from an estate, the previous owner had passed away. The one who had sold it was the nephew who had no idea about the Falcon. ;)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Does it happen with nothing connected to the falcon but the power lead ? Like run the audio tester and unplug all you can... Including monitor ..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
kohli79

Post by kohli79 »

exxos wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm Does it happen with nothing connected to the falcon but the power lead ? Like run the audio tester and unplug all you can... Including monitor ..
No, I haven't tested that yet. I could try it.
I played a little more with the delay modes.
With Delay On it is very unstable, runs for a maximum of 10 minutes and then it crashes. Delay off is much better but still not optimal.
I'm thinking of removing the clockpatch again, before these stability problems weren't there, except for the sound interference. 😔

Almost forgotten:
I have received a test program for the DSP-Ram that shows everything is OK.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

That is strange, if anything it should be more stable with delay on. I wonder if your falcon master clock is to low voltage on the input of the clock patch or more noise than normally there, can you scope all the clocks in and out of the patch ?

But please try disconnect everything plugged in, also have you tried s different PSU ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”