A wounded keyboard has arrived!!

Problems with your machine in general.
stephen_usher

Re: A wounded keyboard has arrived!!

Post by stephen_usher »

I always find that epoxy fails quite quickly. Superglue has been the only type which has been strong enough to hold the Apricot case together. The epoxy joints just peeled away with any flexing. Cyanoacrylate bonds (if the surfaces are very clean and close fitting) are stronger than the material, being hydrogen bonds between one molecule thick layers.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:36 pm I always find that epoxy fails quite quickly. Superglue has been the only type which has been strong enough to hold the Apricot case together. The epoxy joints just peeled away with any flexing. Cyanoacrylate bonds (if the surfaces are very clean and close fitting) are stronger than the material, being hydrogen bonds between one molecule thick layers.
Unfortunately superglue, even gel, doesn't seem to be working very well, it's quite gappy. As long as the joining faces are rough enough, which they are, the epoxy should hold once the whole thing is screwed back together and shouldn't flex very much. I've never had much luck with superglue and Atari plastic. I guess the Apricot has a different formulation that doesn't play well with epoxy.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

You can also buy a crystal clear version of araldite, it's good stuff. By the way - depending on how good your cherry switches feel (mine were worn and scratchy) you can de-solder them and replace with brand new cherry switches. I replaced mine with cherry mx brown and they're lovely.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Steve wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:49 pm You can also buy a crystal clear version of araldite, it's good stuff. By the way - depending on how good your cherry switches feel (mine were worn and scratchy) you can de-solder them and replace with brand new cherry switches. I replaced mine with cherry mx brown and they're lovely.
I haven't seen that clear version TBH, though the damage is so bad it'll be getting painted anyways. I will have a look for some though for future projects.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok, so I have now received some small fibreglass patches which I will add to the casework to help reinforce the damaged areas. I'll try to keep it to the inside only, but will see if it is required in external areas. The glue so far has taken well, but I want to improve the overall strength.

They're the kind used for false nails so small and light, but very tough when impregnated with glue/resin.

I'll start by keying the plastic with a stiff wire brush so that the glue/resin has something to grip to, and hopefully get some pictures of the process along the way.

If I can dig out one of my Megas, I can test the mechanics at least, but getting stuff out is being slightly delayed whilst waiting on some more furniture for a) The spare room so we can empty a load of clothes boxes allowing me to get to the workshop boxes behind them b) more desks for the retro area.

Should be here on Monday though, so that will get things moving again.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Acetone mixed with plastic and you get a slurry that bonds very well. However acetone slowly melts the plastic so it's tricky to use. Small amount to get the end 'sticky' and then mush it together. The acetone evaporates after a while and the plastic that got hit with acetone will be stiff again.

I wouldn't use it the first time trying it out getting a precious Atari case together though.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

DoG wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:27 pm Aceton mixed with plastic and you get a slurry that bonds very well. However Aceton slowly melts the plastic so it's tricky to use. Small amount to get the end 'sticky' and then mush it together. The aceton evaporates after a while and the plastic that got hit with aceton will be stiff again.

I wouldn't use it the first time trying it out getting a precious Atari case together though.
I don't have any acetone to hand, I have heard it is good, which is why I am going with epoxy + fibreglass. It is a precious case and at least I know the epoxy won't melt it.

I have previously glued plastic with acetone and iut can be tricky as you've suggested.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Note to self for later, paint code of RAL7030 stone gray looks very good!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Don't forget the sealant spray on top. :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:47 pm Note to self for later, paint code of RAL7030 stone gray looks very good!
I'll be interested to see how close a match that is.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”